Just Beginning

Boris

Tennantslarger,you are in my favourite place in the UK.  We were up there 2 weeks ago.  We used an architectural technician for the initial design, but the timber frame company have changed it a little, to suit their system.  I'll find a pic, I would have wanted something more contemporary but I guess it has to be 'in sync' with the other 8 self builds.

Hi @Boris

welcome, my personal thoughts having built a timber frame home a few years ago, have you considered a brick outer skin instead of the slips,

you may find it cheaper to get a couple of brickies and put a full outer skin on. 

There is a thread going at the moment regarding the costs of render board and other facade systems. 

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

my personal thoughts having built a timber frame home a few years ago, have you considered a brick outer skin instead of the slips

Interesting thought Russell. Why do you think a brick skin is superior to brick slips? Is it just cost or are there other things too? (Its a topic that I am thinking about at the moment for my build.)

Edited by Dreadnaught
SIPS → brick slips

21 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

Interesting thought Russell. Why do you think a brick skin is superior to SIPS? Is it just cost or are there other things too? (Its a topic that I am thinking about at the moment for my build.)

SIPS or slips?

@Dreadnaught

i suppose my thoughts depend on how your slips will fix to the frame,

i am not keen on anything fixed directly to the frame I would want to see a void to act as a drainage plain 

any moisture that finds its way to the back of the slips needs a void for it fall down and out

my last house had an insulated frame, then an uninsulated cavity, then a block outer skin, then rendered

we all have to make choices based on our thoughts and research, but I would rather have a system where I would be happy standing with a hose pointing directly at my external wall knowing if there is any moisture penetration then it has a path to escape. 

• Thanks 1