Foundation design for Durisol - help!!!

Hi all,

A bit about our project - we have planning permission for a large-ish double storey side extension for our house in Hertfordshire. There is a single storey infill extension (block and brick) that I built in 2014, attached to and converted one of two detached double garages that were already there. 

I’m at the stage now where I’m researching different build types for the extension and am really drawn to the ICF and SIPs style of build, particularly Durisol. The problem I’m having is finding a structural engineer that isn’t going to charge me an absolutely fortune (£8000 the first quote!!) for an existing foundation review and design of a raft foundation so if anyone can recommend a good structural engineer with experience of ICF in particular I’d be eternally grateful!! I really get the impression that the professional services see that you’re a self-builder and add a zero onto their quote!!

I’ve attached the existing and proposed elevations and the ground plan that shows the existing foundation make up. The existing flooring on the plan that shows the Family Area is block and beam, the kitchen and garage are a concrete slab on strip foundations and the utility area is proposed ie. hasn’t been built yet!!1E1B054F-9E2B-4DD0-9709-8CBE4F3326BE.thumb.jpeg.af0eaf0667765db339535382966b3d1f.jpegAny advice would be really appreciated!!

E001C64F-592B-4567-A7C3-F9CB87686AF5.png

94F4956F-FC28-4AB4-92C0-50E86F8C209C.png

J Turner and associates 

speak to Anthony 

hes on holiday until the end of September, he was recommended by nudura who I am using, very pragmatic in his approach 

some over design so much to cover their arses, instead of understanding the system they are working with. 

Google them, if you struggle I can find his number later. 

Russ. 

I don't believe we have met. Welcome!

My build is Durisol. My SE is Hilliard Tanner, based here.

One sentence in Hilliard's  proposal for our foundation plan saved us more than double his fee. I can recommend his work on the basis of three years working with him.

Durisol will also recommend you an SE : his expertise is in how to deal with Durisol issues - how to manage large lintels, corner details and so on. He worked for us FoC for some simple bits of work.

Finally the local Durisol Rep will also know who to ask.

PM me for details if you like. 

• 1 month later...

maybe i,m being a bit cavailer --but me, I would start with insulation below it and make it twice the thickness you think-you can always dig down to your exsisting found and see how thick that is --then make yours thicker --bit more concrete is cheap enough at this stage --you get alot of concrete for 8K-

-scotland  rule is founds are twice as wide as wall on normal ground ,wider if its soggy ,you can always drill and "rebar " it to exsisting found as well at that stage , brick tie brackets or full length angle plate  on exsisting walls to secure your sips to them as well

-job done,

just my thoughts