Hertfordshire Extension - Two Storey Self Build

MattButt

Morning all,

I’ve just come across this website whilst searching for a self-build forum - what a find!

A bit about our project - we have planning permission for a large-ish double storey side extension for our house in Hertfordshire. There is a single storey extension (block and brick) already there that I built in 2014. It will also be a remodel of the estimating house, so a decent sized renovation too.

I’m at the stage now where I’m researching different build types for the extension and am really drawn to the ICF and SIPs style of build. The problem I’m having is finding a structural engineer that isn’t going to charge me an absolutely fortune (£8000 the first quote!!) for an existing foundation review and design of a raft foundation so if anyone can recommend a good structural engineer with experience of ICF in particular I’d be eternally grateful!! I really get the impression that the professional services see that you’re a self-builder and add a zero onto their quote!!

Looking forward to getting involved here on this site as well to help others with any advice I can provide.

Cheers,

MB.

Let me be the first to say welcome. The more knowledgeable will be along shortly with advice! :) A good chance you can visit builds incorporating the systems you're talking about. They're very friendly here!

The more pictures/sketches of what you're proposing the better btw.

Edited by Onoff