Getting the neighbours on side...

Olly P

9 minutes ago, AliMcLeod said:

I'd be a bit wary of assuming that all the people who sounded positive when you spoke to them on the doorstep will stay on side. 

+1. If someone had knocked on my door out of the blue telling me their plans to build a house round here I would probably not even be in a position to consider the implications at that point. People need time to consider the implications and only then can they really start to object albeit their grounds may not have substance. I still think you did the right thing however. 

I approached one of my neighbours and she just snatched the plans straight out of my hands when I informed her what we where proposing. She must have known somebody in planning as her letter of objection used all the latest terms and was very obviously professionally written. BUT they had obviously just written this without due consideration to our build and the neighbours house as it went on about causing a shadow on their house and reducing the light when their house is situated further South and more to the East. She moved away not long after that so to this day I do not know whether it was because of us or not.

• 1 month later...

Well we are now 4 weeks into the planning process, unfortunately we have had quite a lot of objections but equally we have had virtually the same amount of letters of support. 

At first when the objections came flying in I took it very personally, losing sleep etc but now I've got used to seeing them being sent in I'm not as bothered. Yep it would be ideal if there were no objections but that would be too easy and from what I have had read so far is that getting planning permission to build in a field is never going to be easy. 

However some things are going to plan so it's not all bad. I keep telling myself...keep the faith!! 

• Like 1

If you post some of the objections, many here will be able to help you refute them if it gets to that. Remember that someone not liking something is not a valid reason to object - you must be doing something against planning policy for an objection to be upheld.

Edited by AliMcLeod

Most objections are about building on greenfield site. They seem to think if I build on a small section of our field ( it has an existing house and a building to each side of it) then it opens up the rest of the land to development. Also they have concerns with adding another driveway  (30mph zone). 

Objections also because it's not land allocated for development in the Local plan and concerns on mains services connections( not any services issues apparent to us). 

There is no development or settlement boundary. 

Interestingly it's the neighbours that can't see our field that are campaigning against it. The 3 neighbours close to it haven't objected (yet!). They have until Tuesday to object (21 days since there letter).