Oh bugger, tiles lifting.

joe90

As an addition to this thread I am about to start tiling my conservatory floor and I am a bit paranoid about getting it right (this time), I am using 300mm square porcelain tiles. The concrete floor is well dry (3 months). I am thinking of using mapei rapid set, Screwfix do this https://www.screwfix.com/p/mapei-floor-wall-tile-adhesive-grey-20kg/4367d#product_additional_details_container or https://www.screwfix.com/p/mapei-rapid-set-adhesive-grey-20kg/29634

and I guess use this for the floor sealer https://www.screwfix.com/p/mapei-primer-g-5kg/5309p. Can the collective on here give any recommendations please.

Just now, joe90 said:

It is quite dusty, I keep sweeping it and more dust appears.

I had the dust problem so I gave the bathroom floor a coat of SBR diluted down. Lasted me well until I was ready to tile the floor. 

I chose SBR over PVA as I've read any water getting under tiles later on can lift PVA. I know you can get waterproof PVA but SBR is a darn sight cheaper. Cementone was the brand I used from S'fix I think it was.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PeterW said:

For the £20, use the Mapei primer and do it right - you can dilute it 50/50 anyway. 

Thats what I thought, my dad would have said “spoil a ship for a ha,peth of tar”. Which adhesive would you use?  (one is on special offer ?)

i did read read on a Tiler’s forum about problems using PVA as a sealer.

Edited by joe90

41 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Thats what I thought, my dad would have said “spoil a ship for a ha,peth of tar”. Which adhesive would you use?  (one is on special offer ?)

i did read read on a Tiler’s forum about problems using PVA as a sealer.

Think it's @nod that favours SBR as a primer?

As an aside, with my Aqua Seal tanking kit, it says if you run out of the Aqua Seal primer then use SBR.

12 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Think it's @nod that favours SBR as a primer?

As an aside, with my Aqua Seal tanking kit, it says if you run out of the Aqua Seal primer then use SBR.

SBR is as good as a anything 

and much cheaper 

If we used the recommended primers 

We would have no room for our tools 

Most are pretty good 

But you can’t go wrong with SBR 

We normally mix it at 3-1 

But you must let it dry completely before use 

3 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

What's best to seal my new garagefloor with? Apparently pva reactivates when gets wet

You can get waterproof PVA as I said above. 

Why not floor paint?

My double garage had never been worked in just used as a store so when we bought the place I Hoovered the concrete floor and tipped all the collected half tins of grey scrounged from sites etc into an old 5 gal fermenting him. Applied with an old broom head. I'll never match the grey again but it looks good.

Edited by Onoff

@joe90

On a dry dusty floor I always mop the whole floor first with 25/75 flexi primer/water until saturated. That'll dry more or less in front of you, and then you're good to lay.

After mixing up ( standard set if its a big area and I'm on my own ) I have a bucket of 50/50 and a sponge and dampen the area I am about to lay. Haven't lost a patient yet, and have never used SBR.

A lot of people, mostly plasterers, swear by SBR, ( I think they use it in their tea / coffee instead of milk TBH :S) but if there is a product for one job and a product for another, then buy the one that says so on the tin AFAIC ;).

I've used Mapei by the bucket load so no issues there, and many others such as Bal ( expensive ), Ultra ( my first choice as I've used mountains of it with fantastic results ), Kera, Granfix, and other 'knowns', but the only one I would actively steer clear from is Unibond. Had some proper shite results with that and whatever you do, don't EVER buy their ready made floor adhesive in a tub!!!! Utter dog?

As always, butter the back of the tile so its completely covered, and lay your notched bed on the floor, ( if the floor is good enough for one notch ), or butter, bed the floor, and then bed the tile too ( if its a poor floor that's needing making good but SLC is overkill ).

Contaminants like plaster or plasterboard dust are not your friend, so mop the life out of the floor with loads of good old H2O wherever there is evidence of that. TBH a dry floor is your biggest concern so refer to my first and you should be fine. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

Thanks @Nickfromwales , which of the two mapei adhesives above would you use (the cheaper one is on special offer).

p.s. I noticed you answered this about 4am, do you suffer from lack of sleep?

Yup. OCD / ADHD whatever. Brain decides to start going through lists and the frame has to get up with it. My oldest is the same. I wonder where he gets it from ??

One of those is regular, and the other ( more expensive ) is flexible. 

If it’s UFH or porcelain tiles then it’s flexible every time. 

Regular only if it’s a dumb slab and ceramic tiles. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Oz07 said:

What's best to seal my new garagefloor with? Apparently pva reactivates when gets wet

PVA has had its day 

Every few years we have problems with soundblock boards Sucking in like blotting paper 

SBR is the only sealer that can cope 

Weather it’s tiles or render Its all about killing the suction on the surface To stop your adhesive or plaster drying to quickly 

A couple of caps full in each tile adhesive mix will also help 

9 hours ago, joe90 said:

Thanks @Nickfromwales , which of the two mapei adhesives above would you use (the cheaper one is on special offer).

p.s. I noticed you answered this about 4am, do you suffer from lack of sleep?

I use tons of adhesive each year Always flexible Same with the groute 

Edited by nod
  • Like 1