immersion PV diverter

Alexphd1

As a result of my personal experience with the company that took over the Immersun brand, I would not buy an Immersun or the other unit they manufacture. I found their attitude to customers of the company they bought out pretty poor (I know they would argue otherwise, and maybe they're great with their own customers, but this is my opinion based on my interaction with them).

7 minutes ago, Alphonsox said:

The commercial units all look ridiculously expensive for what they are.

I agree with this but decided my time was better spent doing other things  than trying to build my one myself. I bought the cheapest unit I could find and it has been working well for 2 years or so without any problem. it is a unit made by SolarImmersion - see https://solarimmersion.co.uk/

Edited by HerbJ

They all should be a heck of a lot cheaper than they are, as there's nothing close to rocket science in designing and building one.  OK. this is stuff that I'm happy playing around with, but mine has been working faultlessly for well over three years, for around 1/10th the price of the commercial units that are available, and I can repair it myself quickly and easily if it ever does fail (I have a complete spare set of components for mine, so I can get it back running again within an hour or so if it ever fails).

Some of the commercial once are not that clever either. A near neighbour has one, I forgot the make (but NOT immersun) and I have repaired it twice. Carp design, 2 wires from the PCB to the SSR keep failing where they are soldered to a PCB.

• 4 months later...

Bumping this for further opinion.

I haven't seen it yet, but do any of these have the option of remote boost control? Simple boost button in kitchen/ hallway/ whatever, rather than having to go to plant room/ hotpress and negotiate menus?

• 1 year later...

We have an Apollo Gem that seems well built. Metal casing etc

its on a 14kW system at work. We added a temperature probe to it. 

I’m about to have a holiday let built in our garden with solar. We’re getting two Gems so we can push excess solar (9kWp) to wither our house immersion or the holiday let immersion. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...