Cladding options Marley board and render?

Gary G

Crumbs, that's quite a price. Is it worth getting a quote yourself on just the materials to check where the money is going and whether you;re paying over the odds for installation?

I don't know if they stock it but I found Sydenhams to be very competitive on pricing and at least it would give you a guide.

3 minutes ago, Gary G said:

I was hoping for around half that cost and a maximum budget of £30k to clad the exterior.

Working on a materials only price now. To be honest wish I hadn't gone 50/50 split on finishes as it complicates things a bit.

May help you. Cladding Calculator

Whats the area for both cladding and render ..?

28 minutes ago, Gary G said:

House is approx 13m x 8m so call it 100sq m and it's two storey.

No idea about K Rend, what are the alternatives?

I attended a durisol course this week. 

They mentioned that modern polymer renders were a lot better than k rend. I didn’t pay much attention to the polymer renders as I’m using timber cladding. 

1 hour ago, Triassic said:

No doubt someone with experience of modern renders will be along to enlighten on which is best.

I regularly use most of the through coloured renders K rend silicon based is as good as anything out there Though we try not to use Webber 

3 hours ago, Gary G said:

Hi all, 

My original drawings (attached) show Marley board to first floor and render to ground, however, I've had a quote for this come in and its eye watering!

£42,000 to be precise.

That is supply and fit of Marley lap and K Rend onto Aqua panel. Any suggestions for cheaper alternatives?

Regs_Grey_B_L02_(1).pdf

Our first quote (the finished look is part render, part Cedral vertically mounted) came in at £80K.   Your 42K looks like a bargain to me ?

Got some guys coming out tomorrow from Cedral, the render company and the installing company to see how they can make it all fit cleanly together and what battens need to be used.  Not the guys who quoted £80K!

Would be simple if the total depth of finish was the same or similar.  But it is not.  Will see what the outcome is and post an update.

23 hours ago, Triassic said:

I must admit I was somewhat taken aback by the price!

That's the going rate. Had 5 quotes and all around same price. Not a DIY job and it is a timber frame so cannot use traditional render. Looks good though. Scaffold down this week so may have some pics

My house is about 140 square metres over 1 1/2 storeys.  I have never worked out the external wall area.

It is clad in 100mm thick wood fibre board and rendered with the Baumit.com thin coat render system.

I can't give a cost for the wood fibre board as that was lumped in with the build and erect of the timber frame so I don't have an itemised price.

The render material cost £4397 and the labour for the renderer cost £4750  Scaffold (my own) was already in place.

This is the wood fibre board we used chosen from the first supplier I could find just now doing a quick search https://www.insulationsuperstore.co.uk/product/diffutherm-external-woodfibre-insulation-for-render-100mm-080m2.html  I am absolutely certain our builders paid a lot less than that price for it.

The base coat render is mixed from a powder https://www.baumit.co.uk/products/external-insulation/starsystem-nature/multi-contact-mc-55-w.html

And this is the top coat render ready mixed  https://other.baumit.com/products/exterior-insulation/starsystem/baumit-silikontop.html

The whole point of doing it this way, is you are paying for a board to clad the frame with to apply the render, so it might as well be a board that adds a bit more insulation to the building.