How to move, install and not smash hearth?

Tin Soldier

So I have a problem

my lovely Caithness slate hearth has arrived, cut to fit the opening for my massive woodburner to sit on.

I may have underestimated the weight of said hearth, as its over 500kg

Now the problem is how to transfer from field to fireplace opening.

I have a plan that gets me so far. Forklift round to patio doors. Which brings its own problems as I'll have to lay supports over the mud to drive the forklift over so it doesn't sink.

Anyway, I can ' gently' lower the hearth onto a furniture dolly that looks like attached picture, and I can roll the hearth to site.

However, how I get it off the dolly and lowered onto a mortar bed (well sand/cement mix) within the fireplace opening, I do not know.

any bright ideas?

8131UCU+-ZL__SL1500_.jpg

At 500kg I would use a pallet truck not a dolly as that will break under the load ..!! 

You can lift a fair weight with a long enough lever - I would use a pallet truck to put it into place but resting on 4x2 rails either side that run a little over half way back. Put your sand / cement under the centre carefully and level it.  Use a block and a  long length of 4x2 to pivot the hearth up at the front and get someone to pull the side rails out as it will sit down at the back and then lower it down. It will probably slip off the 4x2 lever so be ready for it when it gets close to the floor...!!

Just now, billt said:

I used an engine crane when I had to move something heavy indoors. O.K. if you've got a smooth floor.

That would work. You might be able to pull the lifting strops out, or you may have to sacrifice them and just cut the ends and leave them under the hearth.

But would the wheels of an engine hoist get far enough apart? 

So get it close and then build up timber blocks both sides of the trolly, gently leaver  up and put wedges in, lower back onto blocks and slide out trolly. Repeat process for lowering it to the ground. Lever up one side put in some smaller blocks and lower down. Work both sides down evenly in small increments. When your near the final floor level put a bunch of ice cubes under the block, lower it onto these. Scatter some ice cubes into the recess and slide the slab into position. Wait for the ice to melt. Job done.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ProDave said:

You might be able to pull the lifting strops out, or you may have to sacrifice them and just cut the ends and leave them under the hearth.

Ive seen old car seat belts used as sacrificial strops. Just cut them off and leave the rest under the slab.

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

ice “rails”

Like your thinking mate. Ice cubes will suffice..... i would not usually use a trolly but from the door I would build a set of timber rails 6x2 and I use 25mm metal tubing as rollers. Keeps everything close to the ground and spreads the weight. You then just tip / Slide the stone of the end of the  2 inch high timber onto the ice and into the position. Moving it on the rollers is so easy you can Push it with one hand and it turns corners easily.  The 6x2 really spreads the weight and if you have a delicate floor to go over you can carpet below the 6x2 to protect floor. 

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

At 500kg I would use a pallet truck not a dolly as that will break under the load ..!! 

It looks like this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wooden-Trolley-Furniture-Platform-580x290mm/dp/B074KL9VQB/ref=sr_1_8/258-7677335-5816811?ie=UTF8&qid=1536832021&sr=8-8&keywords=dolly+furniture+mover

So it's not far off 500 kg. I'd think in practice you'd want two for balance anyway so should be fine.

well its in the house at least

I built a train track out of scaffolding board, forlifted the pallet onto some plywood topped rollers and roller it over to the scaffolding.

Made a forklift track to the scaffolding then lifed up onto scaffolding which I'd prepped with another track into house

trimmed the pallet with a jigsaw to maneuver into house with 4mm clearance either side through patio doors

Scary times but its in at least

going to self level the hearth area tonight so its dead flat, so I can just lay it on.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg