Can you have too much PV

Triassic

56 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

and the FiT is deemed from installation,

FiT isn't deemed. You always have to have a total generation meter and the FiT payments are made based on readings from that.

What is often deemed is exports. You can have an export meter and get paid for the actual exports made or you can have “deemed” exports where the assumption is made that you export 50% of the metered generation.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, newhome said:

If they think you are generating too much you get a letter saying they want to visit ... 

Really ..??! I get it if you go a ‘lot’ over but an optimiser can put 10-15% increase on. Or is this based on deemed production ..?? So if you start selling back more than the 4kw..?

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Really ..??! I get it if you go a ‘lot’ over but an optimiser can put 10-15% increase on. Or is this based on deemed production ..?? So if you start selling back more than the 4kw..?

The majority of the FIT payment is made based on generation for which a meter is installed. Export is deemed to be 50% of generation (on the original FIT scheme anyway). If they visit and you’ve only optimised then fine (assuming the rules allow for this) but if they visit and you’ve stuck more panels up then you are screwed. 

2 hours ago, readiescards said:

Though it seems moving panels is not allowed under the MCS scheme.

That's interesting.

My MCS installer seemed to think it could be done.

We even designed the strings etc and discussed the capacity of the Inverters, and the layout of future wiring, to facilitate it.

I am all Solaredge, but do not yet have a veranda on the south side. Any move of panels for me would be large, potentially involving 12 or 16 panels.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

I'm sure it can be done, but to stay 'legal' you should inform them of any change in the system. E.g. if your inverter fails you should tell them that it has been changed, even if it's exactly the same model.

So I'm sure you can fit optimisers but you should inform the system of the change. If you don't and they discover it they have the power to cancel your contract.

At our last house, we initially installed a G83 sized system but subsequently added another the same size so moved onto G59 requirements, the main change being a larger inverter with the relevant safety protocols.  Both were MCS installs, so we received FIT payments, the original array at the rate applicable when installed, the additional array at the lower rate applicable for larger installs.  Export payments were deemed at 50% of total generation of the two arrays.  The first array had been SW orientated, so the second was fitted on a SE roof.  What I had hoped was that I would benefit from a much earlier start to useful generation with the SE facing panels.  The reality was somewhat different.  Whilst we did start generating a little earlier, the amount generated wasn't massive.  Roughly speaking we used 40% of what we generated with one array (we had a heat pump) but the % of electricity generated that we used actually reduced with two arrays fitted, albeit our import reduced, but I do think it is a case of diminishing returns.   

What we did end up with was a massive peak of generation in the summer daytime, some days being 55kWh plus.  We couldn't use that amount of electricity, even with diversion to DHW.  Having loads that can absorb all the excess is key.

• 1 year later...
On 13/09/2018 at 13:07, Nickfromwales said:

Solar Edge ;)  

Fill the roof up and export only 3.8kW ?

Remember you should use this to mitigate against costly uplift caused by mandatory DNO infrastructure improvements. Fit a solar edge and tell them to FO. 

Aside from that the SE inverter is also attractive because it uses dry capacitors and comes with a 12 year warranty. Happy days. 

What is so special about solar edge inverters?