Heating Off But Radiators Warm

Onoff

Morning, if I can just start by saying I have never, ever in nearly 20 years looked inside either our header or cold water storage tanks before. Never had to change a ball valve washer etc.

That's not to say I've not had the odd drip from the two overflow pipes in the soffit. On one occasion I had HOT water pouring out. When it drips I just get my hand in over the top, knock of some of the crud/scale and operate the valve up and down a bit.

Main reason is that I can't get up there.

The tanks sit on a pallet wood platform, on 4x2s nailed across the apex of the roof rafters (cut roof btw). It couldn't get any tighter up there. It's also all a bit "barely there". 

Access is such that I can't get my shoulders up through the maze of pipework to look in. Maybe I could contort myself if I had a stable platform to work from. As it is there's some pieces of loose, crumbly t&g chipboard flooring laid up there. It's also right at the point where the kitchen ceiling, at two levels, meets the lounge ceiling at another level. Joists in different directions and different heights. If I came off the ladder and grabbed at the tank platform I reckon I could bring the lot down!

However, last night the youngest was complaining of "something" scratching above her bedroom ceiling within the flat dormer roof. Precariously balancing on a wooden step ladder (it came with the loft ? ), I got as high as I could to chuck some rat poison satchets above the dormer. I had my phone with me so at arms length, poked it over the top of both tanks (no lids btw).

What's interesting is the header appears full of rust in the bottom. I'm thinking that's an indication of just how dirty my CH system is and that on occasion I've had a pump over event likely due to the 3-port valve being faulty as it was. Sound about right? Probably compromised by crud, leading to it's demise.

Header:

20191121_163757.thumb.jpg.1808cedb95a38c045257fe56008d49b1.jpg

CWS Tank:

20191121_163809.thumb.jpg.9fffd83657b122df016af0f54d955e04.jpg

59 minutes ago, PeterW said:

So you’re not cleaning your teeth with that ... 

Upstairs ensuite basin off this tank yes, only for the past 20 years though... ?

New bathroom basin is cold mains.

I will jump the ensuite into that at some time but the old copper is a bit green and badly supported so a bit hesitant on mains. I'd rather replace it all. WHEN I do the ensuite!