Heating Off But Radiators Warm

Onoff

3 hours ago, Ed Davies said:

Problem is, if the boiler controller is controlling the pump and does the overrun but only gets a signal that the call for heat has ceased because the zone valves have closed it results in the pump pushing against closed valves.

Which is what an automatic bypass valve is for.

This is the wiring diagram of what I have that I knocked up recently. Slightly modded so that the neutrals to the 2-ports now go through the contactors so the 2-port valves are in effect DP switched.

2018-09-05_07-34-41

I'm thinking no boiler overun here?

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/09/2018 at 21:16, Onoff said:

I've replaced micro switches on these valves in the past. Something else too...capacitors? 

So I think I need a V4073A1088:

https://www.honeywelluk.com/products/valves/motorised-valves/V4073A-Motorised-Midposition-Diverter-Valve/

Whoa! How much??? They're pricey!

yes i have 8 zone valves on my system and they were all danfoss --all failed same way at least once in last 15 years --micro switch every time

the load rating is too low on them  to be turning on a big pump --so yes don,t use danfoss   --after changing lots i changed make of units --problem  stopped

23 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

yes i have 8 zone valves on my system and they were all danfoss --all failed same way at least once in last 15 years --micro switch every time

the load rating is too low on them  to be turning on a big pump --so yes don,t use danfoss   --after changing lots i changed make of units --problem  stopped

I still haven't done this despite having the new Honeywell valves sitting here. :ph34r:

Fear of it going wrong / leaking / sudden cold snap / plumbers being shut at the weekend for those bits I never knew I was short of.

Of course I may just be prevaricating!

In a rare kid free day a while back SWMBO and I grabbed a drive thru McDonalds in Crayford. Intending to park in the retail park and eat it, the place was packed and getting the ar$e I drove off in a huff. First place I came to was the heath where there's a public playing field. This was the middle of the day. 

We parked up and mid Big Mac I noticed the car opposite was flashing his lights at me...

"You must have your lights on!" said SWMBO.

Slow realisation of a news story about Dartford Heath.....

:)

Edit: I hasten to add we drove off!

Edited by Onoff

• 2 weeks later...

I'd hate to be one of those unfortunate people with no central heating or hot water especially in this weather....oh wait, tonight I AM! :(

Just stopped for a warm up around the 3KW fan heater and a brew.

Came in tonight and up front RCD had put the whole house out. Traced to downstairs ring then 3-port valve now leaking rather than just heavily stained. SWMBO arrives home and explains you have to put "one thing on at a time". She plays with the two controllers. Boiler fires up.....and it all trips again.

So I thought bugger it, I'll do the 3-port and two 2-ports tonight as I have new Honeywell ones sitting here. It had to be done, I was expecting this.....just not tonight! Old ones are all Tower brand.

Power isolated. Drain cock on oil boiler and downstairs rads both blocked. Had to back blast with the compressor!

3-port:

2018-12-12_05-51-15

All stripped out:

2018-12-12_06-30-51

The convoluted T that links all the valves:

2018-12-12_06-33-17

It's pretty gummy in there, seems a pity to be fitting new valves but hey ho!

2018-12-12_06-57-51

Looks like the 3-port will go straight in. Even that lower 28mm connection has cleaned up.

2018-12-12_06-31-58

One of the connections to the 22mm 2-port cleaned up:

2018-12-12_06-33-51

My question to the collective is can I just slap the new valves on to the old nuts/olives? Same thread form & cleaned up OK with wire wool, tbh the nuts don't seem to have compressed the olives that much. A couple of olives on the 3-port pipes I can spin by hand. Figuring plenty of Jet Blue Plus will not only seal but allow that bit much more to smoothly nut things up.

Dinner now then back at it. Not looking forward to refilling etc no doubt in the early hours!

Cheers

Before - two or three wraps on the olive. 

Looking at that sludge I would also plan to put a mag filter in the circuit somewhere and whack inhibitor in after running some system cleaner through it for a few weeks. 

Look on BES, they have a Cura branded one that is really tidy and cheap - their inhibitor and desludge is good too at about £3 a bottle. 

• Thanks 1

Those olives are a long way from the end of the pipe.  Offer up the new fittings.  If the pipe bottoms out in the new fitting before the olive touches it's cone, then they are never going to compress. If that is the case, cut a bit off the end of the pipe.