Another one bites the dust .....

jonM

Requested a quote for a warranty from Proaktive and received the following reply: 

"Unfortunately not no. Our provider, Premier Guarantee pulled out of the self build market wef 1/9/18. As yet we don’t have an alternative provider."

Seems like warranty providers for individual self builders are becoming quite thin on the ground as many providers seem more geared to volume house builders. 

Premier Guarantee still have the self build application form available via their own website. We took ours direct with them didnt use a broker or third party. Maybe its just that company they have withdrawn from not the market as a whole.  I would contact them direct and see what they say. 

I looked through an old link it seems... no self build now on their web site sorry.

Edited by lizzie
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, worldwidewebs said:

Have you tried Protek?

Thanks and yes I did try them, but they came out quite expensive. It seems an awful lot of money to pay for something that only seems to be of use if you wish to sell the house in 10 years.  I will probably swallow hard, take a deep breath and purchase one even though I don't plan to move again as a "just in case" insurance policy. Likely to go with selfbuildzone although they have doubled my audit fee (extra £800) because I am building the garage first then the house so they need to do double the inspections. 

You can buy one retrospectively I understand. Costs more supposedly but if you aren’t thinking of moving anyway you may decide that the risk is low enough not to be too worried about that. I bought one. Probably wouldn’t if I did it again. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Triassic said:

Can you not cover the risk with indemnity insurance at the point of sale?

This would be good if you could. I sold a property lately and there were a couple of non issues thrown up be the searches. both covered off by indemnity policy.

I suppose its how they could quantify the risk to arrive at a premium.

• Thanks 1

The self build policy is a structural warranty (limited) and you cant cover that via an indemnity as far as I know plus no mortgage lender would take it.

There is the retrospective option as @newhomesaid but that is more limited and very expensive.  I understand there is a new player in the field now to replace CLT....CWT or something like that........Can check if you want.

I would bite the bullet take a policy with buildzone or one of the other mainstream providers. Its a very small cost in percentage terms of your build and if you do need to sell or take a mortgage further down the line then you are covered.  I know there are others on here that do not believe in warranty insurance, its up to you, personally I would take it.  An architects cert is a different animal and does not provide the same cover.

• Thanks 1

If you've read of my experience with a Warranty provider, or to be accurate, the Inspector and his boss, then tread carefully if your build is anything but mainstream (mine made clear for example, that SIPs were an wildly unknown quantity to them and have questioned everything to the 'nth degree, making me contact various firms to ask if their products were compatible - even where it was embarrassing for me to have to ask as it was so obvious) slowing the build by weeks and weeks) and make sure the Inspections you get will be by someone who has worked with that system before. Obviously if your doing a mainstream type build it shouldn't be an issue.

• Thanks 1

@lizzie Thanks, I think that's good advice. We will most likely build the house and garage in parallel and use a different storage option for materials to save money on the inspections.  I also need a warranty to prove I am a self-builder for my CIL exemption which is another good reason. 

@curlewhouse Thanks, I read your blog and that is unreal ! I am not using mainstream (ibeam timber frame with cellulose insulation) and for that reason am using a building inspector familiar with the build method rather than one provided by the warranty company. It is more expensive that way but will hopefully prevent any unnecessary delays. Stunning location and lovely house by the way. 

• Like 1