Umurjuncy: digger broke - Where's Russel Griffiths when you need him?

ToughButterCup

It was all going too well.

Made myslef a nice big hole, popped the poo tank innit, (?) made myself a nice ramp up and down which to choogle the ballast and 20mm stone. Digger going nice.

Then click, bump, click, bump, click  . Tek naw notice: noisy + bumpy anyway.

Looked down: whassat? And that,  and that?  See for yourself.

20180911_144057.thumb.jpg.e9866bc3a0bc4b17097009d44c0379d0.jpg

Bugger.

New track I bet eh @Russell griffiths, and @Construction Channel ?

Yup..... new tracks. I was borrowing / hiring a digger the other week to dig out some of the silt in my pond.... popped a track off..... try refillting a track under muddy water as the digger continues to sink...... got it done but what a job. You could look at second hand if your going to be selling it on soon... going to be a big chunk of cash for new ones.

What am I seeing in that picture?

It varies from machine to machine, but mine was like big links of a chain with strips of metal riveted on to form the "treads"

Has the track actually "snapped" or is is just these bits fell of but the "chain" is intact?

Can I see a picture of where they came from?

You can lift that side of the digger by pushing down with the bucket to allow the track to run free in mid air to assess the damage and rotate the damaged part tot he top to fix it.

At one point when idly searching on ebay I found someone breaking the same digger I had, and should I have needed it he was selling a pair of tracks for £500

Some continuous rubber tracks just have the driving teeth moulded in when they are made, so the steel is bonded to the rubber a bit like the way an engine mount is made.  Those driving teeth have been loose in the track for a while, I suspect, and have now made a bid for freedom, almost certainly buggering up the track itself.

Having said that, I once repaired a broken engine mount by using Sikaflex to bond the steel bit back to the rubber bit.  That worked OK for a year or so, and was still OK when I sold the car.  Not sure if Sikaflex would bond a digger track, though, there's probably a fair bit of damage where the loose teeth have torn out of the rubber.

8 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

I have just put two new ones on mine

i will find the company out, if your not using it to earn a living, then I see no need to have top of the range tracks, cheapies will probably last you years. 

Thanks.

Errrrmmm, by the way , what's with the less-than-instant-response ,  you had me worried for a minnit.

• 1 month later...
On 12/09/2018 at 07:50, Russell griffiths said:

Sorry been on holiday

then delayed on a plane with NO BRAKES FOR 6 hours. 

Will find receipt soon. 

I know why this is - when I used to sell car parts online, Royal Mail refused to send brake pads by air saying brake pads are prohibited on aircraft...(making the "special next day delivery" I paid for to one of the Scottish islands then take longer than normal mail would have done ? ) . In reply I asked them what they stop their own planes with, "an anchor thrown out the back?" ... they didn't reply ?  . So You must have been on one of the special planes royal mail uses which cannot have brakes ?

Edited by curlewhouse