My Advice for Self-Builders

45 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

I partly think of architects as being like an iceberg where the bit you do not see is the 7 years of training, and the hundreds of houses and buildings that they have studied, which ideally informs what they in theory do for the self-builder.

if we do not have one one (in whatever form for however much of the project) then we have to put in the time to develop those bits of the iceberg that we need ourselves.

I think that deciding to use an architect isn't helped by some of the TV programmes such as Grand Designs where the architects can be portrayed as the problem child in some cases. It can appear that they choose form over function where their designs have been costly and difficult to implement. I'm sure they are not all like that however ... 

2 hours ago, newhome said:

I think that deciding to use an architect isn't helped by some of the TV programmes such as Grand Designs where the architects can be portrayed as the problem child in some cases. It can appear that they choose form over function where their designs have been costly and difficult to implement. I'm sure they are not all like that however ... 

According to my son, an architect technician, (obvious bias) 'Architects come up with designs and the technicians have to make them work - if you can find one, your best bet is a technician with vision'.  He clearly sees himself under that banner,  (He wanted to be an architect but couldn't stomach how long it took).

I didn't use him because he was, a) working long hours and out his house about 12 hours a day and b) We are too much alike, clash frequently and he didn't like some of my ideas (don't employ family LOL).

He has, however, been invaluable in spotting issues along the way.

6 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

the classic technicians quote which is absolutely miles from reality, but makes technicians feel better about not studying for so long

A much bigger generalisation than mine. 

I did state that there was obvious bias there and I think that comment is a very rude response, given the context of my comment.

There are good and poor in both disciplines.  Certainly, in my son's case, he wasn't prepared to do the work at the right time.  BUT a good tech is better than a bad architect --- and a damn sight cheaper.  AND he certainly has had to try and make unrealistic ideas work.  

16 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

I have worked, directly with technicians for 15 odd years and every one will tell you they make the architects ideas work...

There are good and bad in both disciplines and there are hundreds of reasons why some people don't do the qualification, it's a completely different job role, being an architect isn't purely sitting at a drawing board 

Totally agree with that comment - your earlier one implied something very different