Topographic survey — non RICS?

Dreadnaught

I have had a quote from a surveyor which looks good and friendly chap too. But I notice by looking at his website (and checking on the RICS site) that he is not a member of RICS or anywhere else as far as I can see. 

Does it matter?

He seems to be an experienced Total Station operator and surveyor, and has testimonials on his webssite. 

The work is a full topographic survey of my plot. 

Edited by Dreadnaught

All of these 'professional memberships' and "councils" are just clubs to make money for the boys. I have spent my entire professional career avoiding them to the best of my ability. RICS and Engineering council etc. are slightly different as they allow professionals to be chartered, but if I don't renew my subscription am I any less of an engineer? They offer nothing in return. 

Not being a chartered surveyor will probably be cheaper as he is not paying membership fee's etc. ask what his credentials are,  maybe he was with a firm, went out on his own and decided not to sign up to the "clubs" I bet he is just as qualified, potentially better, than someone who comes with all the RICS stamps and accreditation. 

Look at the background of almost all these associations and it started out with a couple of people deciding to set up an organisation for "insert profession here" and offer some so called "service" for a fee once a year - then with good marketing have people believe that they must have said membership or they are no good.

• Like 2

Hi

I would not necessarily expect a topographic surveyor to be a member if RICS.

It seems odd, but land surveying as in topographic is a different discipline from the land/buildings surveying in RICS world. RICS is more commercial valuing, building condition. However some will be registered if they have a broader field of experience. I checked with some that I have used for many years and they are not members.

If its just a single plot and he's using a modern total station it should be fine.

• Thanks 1

The people we use do outline and elevations of the nearby buildings as well which is helpful in setting out and if you need context elevations.

The survey information forms the basis of all other drawing information.  Later we get them back to set out on the foundation concrete the corners of the walls, the centres of soil pipes and steelwork, wind posts and baseplates, all marked with a Hilti pin.  They are very accurate.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dreadnaught said:

I have had a quote from a surveyor which looks good and friendly chap too. But I notice by looking at his website (and checking on the RICS site) that he is not a member of RICS or anywhere else as far as I can see. 

Does it matter?

I wouldn't worry on the Topo as long as he is competent and accurate. The Council are unlikely to reject that one for lack of a qualification (unlike perhaps the Soil Survey or Bat Survey or Tree Survey or Archaeology Survey, all of which would possibly require an appropriately-lettered ologist).

My reminders:

- Make sure he covers all the areas you need, such as verge boundaries and street furniture and the road far enough for visibility splays etc, and also points inside your plot.

- Make sure that he gives you an electronic copy that you have software to understand.

- Make sure that there are no restrictions on use that are unacceptable to you.

Is there an advantage in creating your reference datums first, so that these can be included?

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I've used quite a few local land/building surveyors, none mention qualifications, just the gear they have. They've done jobs for me on small to acre sized plots, I never complain, they're spot on. Around £600 for a small but tricky one and £800'ish for just over an acre, but including levels of road parallel to site, along with adjacent details (houses within 20m of site). 

9 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

I got over 2acres done for £450  december last year 

Got to edit my post - thought I was writing to another one ?

£450 though for that, that's pretty good, though I image the quantity of points is quite a bit lower in Scotland?

Edited by bikerchris