50mm cavity, difficult to maintain damp bridge free?

epsilonGreedy

My detached garage is comprised of a single story main block 7.2m x 5.6m plus a store appendage 3.3m x 2.3m externally attached to the shorter 5.6m wall. The store is an architectural feature under a catslide roof.

I intend to build the main garage as a double skinned 100mm cavity wall but now I am wondering if I can squeeze a useful extra percentage of internal floor space for the store by dropping down to a 50mm cavity we are talking about an extra 4" or 100mm along the longer 2700mm internal wall.

If I, as a beginner brick layer, build this garage above dpc (already doing so below dpc) is there a significant extra risk of wall tie mortar bridges with a 50mm cavity?

57 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Make it 60mm then get a bit of roofing batten and put a string on either end. Lower it into the cavity and pull it up above  the ties as you go and it will catch the snots. 

This is something that makes sense but I never see it happen on site.

On 11/09/2018 at 10:21, Brickie said:

As others have said-what is the reason for the cavity?

I want to upgrade the approved structure to a nice dry outbuilding as the main house is a bit small with limited loft space for storage plus planning covenants ban a garden shed, so this garage has to be perfect.