Adding a piece of wood to a beam

Thedreamer

Okay, had an idea for later in the build.

We will have length of wood which will still on the balustrade on the walk way between the two bedrooms up stairs. Roughly where this chap is standing in the photo.

Is there any reason why we could'nt attach a strip of the same wood onto the bottom of the Kerto ridge beam and then leave this exposed?

I was thinking oak or douglas fir?

P1150615.thumb.JPG.fb8523fba72bb9c96969d9fcabb1fb54.JPG

7 hours ago, Thedreamer said:

Okay, had an idea for later in the build.

We will have length of wood which will still on the balustrade on the walk way between the two bedrooms up stairs. Roughly where this chap is standing in the photo.

Is there any reason why we could'nt attach a strip of the same wood onto the bottom of the Kerto ridge beam and then leave this exposed?

I was thinking oak or douglas fir?

P1150615.thumb.JPG.fb8523fba72bb9c96969d9fcabb1fb54.JPG

If you first line the beam with 15 mil fire line plasterboard you simply clad the whole beam with oak or simalar

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nod said:

If you first line the beam with 15 mil fire line plasterboard you simply clad the whole beam with oak or simalar

This effectively makes the visible beam part of the decoration as a false beam, as seen often in 1960s Jacobean cottages, and is not subject directly to fire regs - unless you are building an HMO, so just finish the ceiling as you had already agreed with BC and then fit the false beam. Job looks good by the way,

• Like 1

Yes that useful thanks chaps.

We will definitely need to do a similar exercise with the plasterboard on the steel beam.

I will also investigate whether we could put some form of fire resistant varnish on the Kerto and then add the timber on the bottom.