Gas sign off

nod

The other thing that I really like about the induction hob is that the energy is converted into heat in the pan itself, and hence the thermal spill below is minimal and managed by a small fan internal to the low profile unit.  This low profile means that we have a 900mm draw unit directly under the 4+2 hob set up, with a large 900 cutlery draw and two pretty deep utensil and pan drawers directly under the unit.  Ergonomically, this is brilliant.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TerryE said:

The other thing that I really like about the induction hob is that the energy is converted into heat in the pan itself, and hence the thermal spill below is minimal and managed by a small fan internal to the low profile unit.  This low profile means that we have a 900mm draw unit directly under the 4+2 hob set up, with a large 900 cutlery draw and two pretty deep utensil and pan drawers directly under the unit.  Ergonomically, this is brilliant.

I can recall the MI’s with one stating NOT to have cutlery or metal utensils immediately below for whatever reason. 

11 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

I can recall the MI’s with one stating NOT to have cutlery or metal utensils immediately below for whatever reason. 

Stainless steel is not magnetic.

Perhaps there is an issue with ferrous cutlery or utensils "self heating?"

There was nothing in the installation instructions for ours, and in fact the unit is in a sheet steel carrier.  We've never had any issues with this configuration and our electrician (who wired it up) didn't raise any issues at the time.  

IIRC, in terms of the physics, you need fero-magnetic medium which will generate local eddy currents and the local resistance then draws a lot of localised power (= local heating) within the medium.  You really need something  like cast iron or a steel+copper/aluminium laminate structure to produce decent eddying.   

BTW, steel is fero-magnetic.

What I will do is to take the temperature of the cutlery (about 15cm) under a heating pan to see if there is any noticeable warming and report back

4 hours ago, TerryE said:

Pretty much done exactly the same recently - induction hob, and then 800 drawer set immediately below.