Through Cavity Mailbox.....Recommendations?

Rob99

On 12/09/2018 at 03:37, Triassic said:

I’ve had one of the large drop boxes for a couple of years now.  Got a clever mechanism that means you can’t fish the parcel out once it has been dropped in.  Very happy with my purchase.  I’m not going to have any kind of letterbox in the new build either, so this one will move with me.  Still get the occasional delivery driver knocking on the door, but the postie told me he liked it!

It’s very similar to this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016XUXJAS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Saw these guys at one of the shows a while back and were very well made. 

Smart Parcel Box

With Amazon though I’m starting to use the locker system as the drivers are getting atrocious ..! Downside is that some marketplace vendors don’t allow their products to go to lockers for some odd reason - and it’s not down to parcel size either. 

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd revive it as I'm also looking for a through the wall letter chute. Thanks to @lizzie and @Bitpipe and others for the recommendations in this thread. All look like good options, but what I'm looking for is a bit more particular. My requirements (in order of importance) are:

1. Large through-the-cavity-wall mail chute in matt black alumnium or steel poweder coated in Ral 9005
  2. I actually don't need a box to catch the mail, as I'd prefer the mail to fall on the floor.
  3. Additional flap on the inside to mitigate drafts when in use
  4. Outer plate surrounding the full size slot to be big enough so that it can be engraved with our door number in a prominent font size so that the door number is visible from 10m away.
  5. Enough space to add our family name to the surrounding plate (although actually that would never work, my wife and I have double barrelled our names because neither of us was willing to give up their surname and my surname has 11 letters and hers has 8, which would require space for 20 characters!)

Basically, I'm looking for a combination of this black through the wall letter box from the website @Bitpipe recommended: https://www.letterbox24.de/D-041-through-wall-letterbox-variable-depth (which comes in the exact finish I want) but with a wider external plate surrounding the actual mail slot so that I can have our door number in a funky engraving like this.

I can probably engineer requirement (3) myself, but (4) seems trickier to find. I will give up on (5).

Any suggestions?

11 hours ago, Adsibob said:

I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd revive it as I'm also looking for a through the wall letter chute. Thanks to @lizzie and @Bitpipe and others for the recommendations in this thread. All look like good options, but what I'm looking for is a bit more particular. My requirements (in order of importance) are:

1. Large through-the-cavity-wall mail chute in matt black alumnium or steel poweder coated in Ral 9005
  2. I actually don't need a box to catch the mail, as I'd prefer the mail to fall on the floor.
  3. Additional flap on the inside to mitigate drafts when in use
  4. Outer plate surrounding the full size slot to be big enough so that it can be engraved with our door number in a prominent font size so that the door number is visible from 10m away.
  5. Enough space to add our family name to the surrounding plate (although actually that would never work, my wife and I have double barrelled our names because neither of us was willing to give up their surname and my surname has 11 letters and hers has 8, which would require space for 20 characters!)

Basically, I'm looking for a combination of this black through the wall letter box from the website @Bitpipe recommended: https://www.letterbox24.de/D-041-through-wall-letterbox-variable-depth (which comes in the exact finish I want) but with a wider external plate surrounding the actual mail slot so that I can have our door number in a funky engraving like this.

I can probably engineer requirement (3) myself, but (4) seems trickier to find. I will give up on (5).

Any suggestions?

Sounds like something you will need to get fabricated. Should not be that complicated as it's just folded sheet metal - you can get a paint shop to powder coat it to any RAL.

16 hours ago, Adsibob said:

my wife and I have double barrelled our names because neither of us was willing to give up their surname

Did you do it "officially", as in by deed poll etc?

("Tess Blythe just knew she and John Tickle would never wed").

1 hour ago, Adsibob said:

Sort of. It's official for our kids, but not (yet*) for us.

* might never happen if I'm honest.

Just get a flat piece of steel and some of those fridge magnet letters. Gives you some future flexibility :)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bitpipe said:

Just get a flat piece of steel and some of those fridge magnet letters. Gives you some future flexibility :)

At the rate we're burning through our contingency, this might be a necessity - I already have the fridge magnets on our fridge, so it would just be the cost of the steel!