Re-using existing door/windows in new openings

Rob99

Am I allowed to re-use my existing uPVC door/windows in new openings?

The openings are not in my new extension but will be in the old walls of the existing house. My budget is very tight and the £2k I'll save could be used better somewhere else.

I also hate the thought of wasting perfectly good doors/windows which are only 10 years old.

Cheers

Rob

Edited by Rob99

8 hours ago, Rob99 said:

The openings are not in my new extension but will be in the old walls of the existing house.

Are they all perfectly sized ..?? 

On a pure technicality, you should either use a Fensa registered installer or get BCO sign off for windows.... but that’s up to you... ?

15 hours ago, Rob99 said:

I also hate the thought of wasting perfectly good doors/windows which are only 10 years old

Should not be a problem, sizes notwithstanding. If any are wrong there are trims and things available from any trade UPVC place or online that can be used to cover any muttwork (eg strips of wood down the side to make it smaller) that you have to do. The main thing is to take care and take your time.

If you want to boost performance, then it may be worth replacing the larger 2G units with more modern ones - performance may be better (comments, anyone?) and they are not expensive.

I have used a secondhand conservatory (4m x 6m for £600 off ebay) as the core of a sunlounge, which has turned out to be fine all year for the tenant concerned, except in eg the heatwave we had this summer. That has now been up 5 years. I have also used a couple of pairs of nearly new brown / white French windows off ebay for the front and back entrances of a side leanto, which cost £250 the pair, and one was only 3 years old out of a newly sold barn conversion, where the lady was turning it white to be more "classy" (from Essex to match the stilettos?).

If you buy secondhand the real bargains are the ones too big or heavy for Fred Bloggs to put on the roofrack of his estate car.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

My mate's old, white 2G, upvc front door (no letterbox) is now my new back door.

I got it when he had it and the rest of his white, 2G, upvc doors and windows replaced with white, 2G, upvc doors and windows.

Edited by Onoff

They're exactly the size we need as we made sure the architect matched the new openings on the drawings with the ones we knew we would have spare after the extensions were finished. Not sure how much regs have changed but they were installed by a FENSA company 10 years ago.

I'm not sure whether BC will check them or not. The new openings are on the building reg approved drawings so maybe they will.

Does anyone know if regs for windows/doors have changed much in the past 10 years?

Cheers

Rob

My assumption would be that too but does creating a new window opening, even in an existing wall, not need to comply with building regs?

Unfortunately I can't do the openings in the existing house after the extension as they're all included in the builders contract.

On 07/09/2018 at 15:31, Onoff said:

My mate's old, white 2G, upvc front door (no letterbox) is now my new back door.

I got it when he had it and the rest of his white, 2G, upvc doors and windows replaced with white, 2G, upvc doors and windows.

My T who built a conservatory was planning to repurpose *my* backdoor as the new conservatory until I stopped him with a "no" and "if you do that it will have to meet Building Regs". Got one off ebay for £30 within the hour.

F

I think I'm just going to run with it and see if the BCO comments on it. Hopefully he won't be bothered as he will primarily be looking at the new build stuff. Worst case scenario he has a hissy about them and I have to put the new ones in.

Cheers

Rob