Sitting here waiting for the wife to get ready so we can go out for dinner I wondered what you all get up to when your not building 

this is what I will be getting up to this week. 

better order a truckload of headache tablets I feel a hangover coming on. 

So that’s me. 

strange bunch aren’t we

• Like 2

I hate that bit on job application forms...'hobbies and other interests'.

I just don't have any at all...it's not as if you could write drinking red wine and masterbating but not always at the same time!

Hold steady @Russell griffithsgriffithsgrigriffigriffgriffithsgriffithsg wow forum software threw a wobble there! You'd be surprised at the strange and interesting antics of some of the people I've met on here.

• Haha 2

Astoundingly dull. Walking; reading dull books on history; running around a squash court; listening to dull classical music.

Hill walking and sailing are my two passions.

Was out on my old boat (sold it a few weeks ago) last night, and might be sailing tomorrow, though I think warm, wet weather gear will be needed if we do.

Golf is my vice. 4 hrs of a walk with good mates and plenty of craic. We pick courses all round Ireland and go for a weekend once a year which usually ends in lots of sore heads. 

56 minutes ago, Tennentslager said:

I hate that bit on job application forms...'hobbies and other interests'.

I just don't have any at all...it's not as if you could write drinking red wine and masterbating but not always at the same time!

Ready made CEO

• Like 2

To my annoyance at times, I don't really have a proper hobby. I more have general areas of interest that I dip into over time. These include things like:

• Classic cars (though haven't yet owned one - soon!) - I tend to read Practical Classics in preference to the mags that focus on more expensive cars
  • Politics (especially the intersection with tech, so privacy, cryptocurrency, crypto-anarchy and related areas)
  • Coffee (more making than drinking)
  • Indian and American style pale ales (more drinking than making)
  • Nutrition (pro high quality meat, saturated fats, salt and greens - against carbs and processed foods), including various forms of fasting (intermittent and windowed, for example)
  • Remote controlled aircraft, particularly gliders and slope-soarers (haven't done this since I was much younger, and even then not that much, but this is an area right at the top of my list for when the house is finished)
1 hour ago, Dreadnaught said:

Astoundingly dull. Walking; reading dull books on history; running around a squash court; listening to dull classical music.

Doesn't sound at all dull to me, unless you're intentionally avoiding the really exciting classical music and listening to the dull stuff! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Before chronic fatigue - wilderness / hill  running, rock climbing / free climbing, adventurous  sailing

While I’m recovering from chronic fatigue - Gardening, shooting, fishing, fair weather sailing, contemplating, dreaming. 

When I’m back to full strength - less contemplation and more action, especially with  the kids, camping / trips away. 

I hope I never need to stop building..... I love it and all aspects of developing my homestead with the aim of becoming more and more self sufficient.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, jack said:

Nutrition (pro high quality meat, saturated fats, salt and greens - against carbs and processed foods), including various forms of fasting (intermittent and windowed, for example)

I have been doing a  paleo keto diet for 10 month, it been the backbone of my recovery (60%) better. Less than 50 grams of carbs a day, lots of good fat and greenery. I fast between 6pm and 8pm every day. The one thing I miss is good ale as I only ever have a very rare drink. But I love good coffee!   

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cpd said:

Gardening

Forgot that one - I love gardening.

7 minutes ago, Cpd said:

I have been doing a  paleo keto diet for 10 month, it been the backbone of my recovery (60%) better. Less than 50 grams of carbs a day, lots of good fat and greenery. I fast between 6pm and 8pm every day. The one thing I miss is good ale as I only ever have a very rare drink. But I love good coffee!   

Great to hear. I'm not that surprised - the number of stories I've heard about people improving all sorts of chronic problems by cutting out carbs and processed foods is unreal.

I aim for less than 100g a day of carbs, which I nearly always beat by some way (typically around 60-80g). It's become a lot easier since I mostly gave up bread. I've never been that big a drinker, but as me and the missus have gotten deeper into fitness over the last couple of years, we find ourselves hardly drinking at all. I do love a good pale ale though.

I eat nothing, and drink as little as possible, after dinner (which can be any time between 6pm and 8pm), have a cup of black coffee first thing in the morning, and then don't take on board anything except water until midday at the earliest. I often train at midday (Crossfit) for an hour without having taken on any calories since dinner the night before - it's surprising how quickly you adapt. I've lost quite a bit of fat since getting more serious about all this a few months ago. Both my strength and cardio fitness have significantly improved over that time as well. The extent of the cardio improvement, even when training fasted, has really surprised me.

• Like 1

I had two weeks leave two weeks back then another 2 weeks off. First week back this week. So in 6 weeks I've had 4 off. I was going to get up early, watch my diet and go for a run everyday.

And I feel like SH!T! :)

Can't remember the last piece of fruit I ate unless an apricot Danish counts? The collection of empties shows I've achieved at least something. Zero energy, mouth ulcers and another bout of man flu on its way I think.

Retox not detox! 

• Haha 1

Used to be fairly heavily into gliding and power flying (1980s, 90s and early 2000s) mostly as a hobby/sport, but with some overlap with professional programming, but gradually stopped for a variety of interrelated financial, mental and ecological reasons but still have friends who fly so keep in touch with it all a bit.

Main other interest is general science and particularly astronomy. For the house build astronomy has been rather an armchair activity as clear evenings tend to follow or precede days with decent building weather but I hope to get back into it a bit more once I'm in the house and have an (even) darker and clearer sky than where I'm renting.

• Like 2

I've got twin boys age 16 so I'm mostly a taxi driver these days. It's a 25 mile round trip to the town where they go to school and their friends and girlfriends live. My record is 5 round trips in a day! They have already started driving lessons!

I used to fly electric powered RC model aircraft which I plan to return to when my kids leave home. For several years I was in the British team for one class of high power electric models and competed at several European and World Championship events. Best finish was about 13th out of 70 or so.

More recently I've hd a go a making some furniture but my workshop is way too small for the tools I'd like to buy and the furniture I'd like to make. A table I made had to be assembled in a tent on the lawn.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jack said:

I've lost quite a bit of fat since getting more serious about all this a few months ago. Both my strength and cardio fitness have significantly improved over that time as well. The extent of the cardio improvement, even when training fasted, has really surprised me.

Is it time to update your pic to the new, ripped fanny magnet you are now then? I bet like the Satsuma Castanet 4x4 made by the Kyoto Dangerous Toy And Lawnmower Company you're  beating them off with a sh!tty stick! 

My avatar pic is tbh pretty close to how I feel at the mo. Got a bunch of issues right now so I stress eat and drink with no on/off switch. I've just amassed the 40 500ml bottles to make the 40pt cider kit I bought my lad. Homebrewing though might not  be the best hobby to get into right now! 

Admitting is the first step...

:)

8 hours ago, Temp said:

More recently I've hd a go a making some furniture but my workshop is way too small for the tools I'd like to buy and the furniture I'd like to make. A table I made had to be assembled in a tent on the lawn.

One of my planned hobbies once we're done is furniture restoration (with a bit of making once I get some more experience). 

8 hours ago, Temp said:

I used to fly electric powered RC model aircraft which I plan to return to when my kids leave home. For several years I was in the British team for one class of high power electric models and competed at several European and World Championship events. Best finish was about 13th out of 70 or so.

Amazing! Apparently the improvements in electric flying over the last 10-15 years have been extraordinary. You'll probably be amazed when you go back (if you haven't been following it from the sidelines).

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

Is it time to update your pic to the new, ripped fanny magnet you are now then? I bet like the Satsuma Castanet 4x4 made by the Kyoto Dangerous Toy And Lawnmower Company you're  beating them off with a sh!tty stick! 

Ha, hardly! I needed to lose a few pounds from the midriff, but even after losing around 8kg since the start of the year, I just look normal. I certainly don't look like I go to the gym three times a week. In contrast, my wife has proper washboard abs and the most amazing set of shoulders. Wish mine were as good!  :D

1 minute ago, jack said:

but even after losing around 8kg since the start of the year

Nigh on a kilo a month, that's quite a rate! Top end of the range that is considered healthy. Impressive.

Did I mention that around 3kg of that was a week with the flu earlier in the year? :ph34r: 

• Like 1

When not building most of my time is spent either at the physio trying to ease strains and pains, or slumped on the sofa wiped out.

BEFORE self building I was year-round sea swimming and doing half-iron distance triathlons, and was 13lbs lighter (despite logging 33thousand calories on coffee& walnut cake alone over a 3 month period of inputting all my food data into MyFitnessPal......that's a hobby in itself!).

I've developed huge respect for the dynamic fitness of builders and am no longer fooled by the beer belly camouflage some cover it with....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mvincentd said:

I've developed huge respect for the dynamic fitness of builders and am no longer fooled by the beer belly camouflage some cover it with....

Absolutely. I've been working on our balconies lately, and despite being healthy and reasonably fit am absolutely stuffed at the end of a few hours' work. The real world fitness of some of these guys/gals is amazing.

Don't even get me started on some of the landscape and gardening people who've done work for us over the last couple of years...

Yes, after two years on my build I am almost permenantly tired, people still tell me I do well for a 63 yr old but I don’t feel it!

Just read the whole thread, I used to be into caving, hill walking, mountaineering, climbing and skydiving. My moving to Devon to retire is working (once I finish the build!). I want to play with my classic car, old furgie tractor, get into healthy cooking and furniture making and restoration. I have a fab workshop (when it’s not full of building crap). And have a lovely quiet location. My wife returns to Bristol regularly but I find myself making excuses not to go, to much traffic, pollution, can’t leave the chickens!. I do love hosting friends for visits but don’t mind spending time on my own furtling in my Workshop. What’s not to like.

• Like 3

My hobby is architectural and landscape photography. Mostly B&W square format.

A couple of examples:

Boat & Stool, Cambodia.jpg

Burj Khalifa, Dubai.jpg

Victoria Harbour, Hong Kong.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, joe90 said:

... but don’t mind spending time on my own furtling in my Workshop. What’s not to like.

There's nothing better than pottering.

• Thanks 1

Thinking about it, I don't think I've ver really devoted time to a hobby.  Having built six times it's been build, garden then move on.  Not much spare time in between for other interests.  Just as well I've enjoyed the planning / building process and the satisfaction of turning a wasteland into garden.  I'm now reaching the point where these things are done at our current house, and with no plans to build again, I'm looking forward to doing more of the things I like - fishing, walking,  cycling (not lycra clad) and wartime history.  I'm fortunate to live somewhere that can accommodate all of these.