Extractor fan keeps breaking!

MikeGrahamT21

Got an extractor fan in the utility, its in the ceiling, and for some odd reason it keeps breaking.

First one broke early part of year, was one i bought off ebay (Vent Axia Centra dMEV), and I just thought, ah well, clearly was something wrong with it, so bought another of the same model, again off ebay, lasted 2 months, and that one has stopped too, so i'm thinking there must be something more to it that this.

I've connected the fan via a plug head in a 13a socket, think I used a 3A fuse (whatever the lowest rating was which would fit the plug). There is absolutely no action what-so-ever from the fan, when you power them on they are supposed to put a blue LED on and do several tests, but nothing at all, so I'm hazarding a guess the computer board is fried. Would the fact its connected to plug head be the reason for this? I've still got the old one too, can't see anything obvious on the boards for damage.

A 240V supply is a 240V supply regardless of how it gets there so the flexed up to a plug option is a perfectly acceptable test means for this device.

Sounds like a PCB issue if it will not go through self-test - take a look at it - often damage will manifest as corroded solder joints, blackened components etc.

One thing I would consider is how you have installed it and the associated ducting. Have you installed it as per an approved method, reason I ask is often these fans can die if condensation can run into them from inappropriately angled/connected duct runs etc.

In some of these circumstances a 12V version with remote PSU is a good idea as the fan is then just a simple 12V fan - but try and iron out any install issues first.

I thought it should have been fine, as you say a supply is a supply.

Yeah, its never had any condensation through it at all, vented out through a tile vent via cold loft, with the pipe insulated.

I'll take a closer look at the PCB, maybe ive just got unlucky, just not that fussed for spending another £50 on a replacement, again.

Why spend so much on a computer controlled fan?  I am a big believer in keep it simple, i.e a direct 240V motor, nothing else.

But am I the only one to question why you want a fan in the utility room?  In our old house we had one because building regs said so. but it never got turned on, even when hanging wet washing in there to dry. Why would I want the noise from it?  And we never had condensation or other issues.

On 05/09/2018 at 14:10, ProDave said:

Why spend so much on a computer controlled fan?  I am a big believer in keep it simple, i.e a direct 240V motor, nothing else.

But am I the only one to question why you want a fan in the utility room?  In our old house we had one because building regs said so. but it never got turned on, even when hanging wet washing in there to dry. Why would I want the noise from it?  And we never had condensation or other issues.

I totally agree, this is a building regs only exercise, it was a silent fan anyway so not a problem, in the future we are considering an airer in there for drying so I guess it would be useful. I can always tell when it breaks as the air doesn’t smell as fresh, think the garage floor paint I used was a bit chemical heavy, and still not 100% cured. I’ll consider buying something less complex, got this as we have one in the bathroom and was really impressed with it, maybe just bad luck, toolstation it is!