Heating systems

Hi All. I am converting a barn and am stuck on which heating system to install. It is for renting out so I am leaning towards LPG (no mains), oil or electric. It is 4 bed and the main living space is very big and vaulted to about 8 meters. I like the idea of electric as the setup costs are cheaper and I can offset with solar PV. I am concerned about heating the large open plan living space with electric though. My thoughts and comments are very welcome. 

I have an electric system here. It can be very costly, especially if you are dealing with a large space and insulation levels aren't to passive standard (mine aren't). Depends how much PV you can generate but unless you can store some the electric meter will be spinning like crazy whilst the people renting your property have it toasty warm in the evenings just because they can. I am mindful of mine because I pay the bill. If someone else is paying the bill people won't be nearly so careful.

I take it this is a holiday let, since something like that as a family let would be unlikely to be economic, and not a room by room HMO since you would be likely to be responsible for the bill, or subdividing and enforcing it.

You need a heat model of your build to your spec, and work out energy requirements for the heating and what the impact of the PV will be, particularly if Electric. As it is PV you need to work out the timings as PV generates in summer and heating is required in winter.

In IT terms, you start by documenting your requirement.

If you are a holiday let, then ASHP, underfloor and a log burner may be the way. And perhaps an overnight tariff and a Sunamp  or similar for your water.

Edited by Ferdinand

Can you get underfloor heating (UFH) into the floor as then an Air Source Heat Pump (ASHP) might be a way forward on the electric side and you could use Economy 7 electricity to warm the slab overnight and supplement with PV during the day. Do you think you will let it out throughout the year or just in the holiday seasons?

I think you should look at air to air heat pumps  (air conditioners) with multiple outlets in the large space, particularly if this is a non-winter holiday home. You will get high COPs, If you can point the PV SW & SE production will coincide with consumption. There are dedicated air to water heat pumps for hot water production.

e.g. http://www.ariston.com/ww/Air_sourced_water_heaters or this type https://www.ebay.at/itm/Trinkwasserwarmepumpe-Trinkwasser-Warmepumpe-Trinkwasserwarmepumpen/221497987856

A new regulation introduced this year mandates a minimum energy performance rating of band E or better for rental properties. There is some debate about the scope of the new legislation both in terms of the type of tenancy covered and difficult to insulate properties in conservation areas.