Green screening for site boundary fence.

I need to improve my site boundary fence on one side of the plot because a nearby child is now mobile and the building plot could prove too interesting to a toddler making a brief escape from mum.

The standard 1m high orange plastic link screen roll seen in BM's would upset village aesthetics and a green version of the same stuff is described as high vis. Scaffolding netting in green would be about right but this is 2m high.

So I am looking for 15m to 25m meters of screen netting 1m high in a subdued olive green that would deter a toddler and as a secondary benefit screen the gory details of the site from passing traffic.

13 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Whatever the aesthetic issues, I would be installing Heras fencing as you need to make the site secure. 

It must be a regional thing because half the small scale sites I see around here have a simpler site boundary.

I have no security concerns so public liability is my concern.

One alternative is to use the cheapest (or secondhand) artificial grass.

That can probably come in at about £2 to £5 per metre run, depending on the height of your fence. Buy in 2 or 4m width and cut lengthways. A little more expensive but £50 or so on the cost of a build is not very much. You could probably use it to screen off or floor a romping / kids' catastrophe area in the garden when you have completed your build in a year or so.

eg This basic stuff (selected as high in Google) is £4.49 per sqm in 2m or 4m width, which for a 1m fence is £2.25 per metre:

https://www.grass-direct.co.uk/lawn-budget-artificial-grass.html

or clearance of remnants is a little cheaper at about £1.50 if t is the right shape.

https://www.grass-direct.co.uk/clearance

I had a few days in Istanbul last year, and it was used on many city centre building sites very effectively. Looks attractive and would keep your neighbours happy.

The only issue I can see is it potentially catching the wind.

You could probably attach it to Heras or other using tie wraps. Or sew it by hand if you want to discover your Zen :-0 .

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

I'd definitely want something like Heras, as public liability is pretty serious, and Heras (or similar) secure fencing is so widely used that it would be a pretty good legal defence argument is something did happen.

The orange low level stuff is wholly inadequate, and only intended to be used for short duration hazard marking around temporary works, like roadworks.  Our site insurers wanted security fencing that was at least 1.8m or 2m high, IIRC, I'll try and see if I kept the bumpf they sent out with the policy and quote it, if I haven't thrown it out.

• Like 1