Plumbing questions (15mm all in? Pipe runs....)

oranjeboom

24 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

That’s a tidy price for a 4-branch. 

Buy it and move on :) Chop chop. ?

Would be okay if it was just one I needed. 3x 4-ports, and 1x 2-port! But seeing I need to do the HRC in brass anyway, it makes sense to do it all in brass.

At least I only paid £64 for 100m of 10mm Hep2o pipe.

• 4 months later...

Tape the ends of the pipes with cheap electricians insulating tape to stop any crap getting into the pipes as you work them through the build. The outside diameter of the pipe is critical for getting the o-ring in the fittings to seal well, so if you drag the pipe and create a linear scratch along its length expect to get problems later on in the second fix. The o-ring squeezes onto the outside, so water would happily track along any linear imperfection. I cringe when I see plumbers yanking it through tight holes in timber joists.

• Like 1

On 23/01/2019 at 23:01, mvincentd said:

How did your system turn out @oranjeboom?  Any pics? Any benefit of hindsight tips?  I'm looking at starting my 1st fix using Hep2o manifolds.

Urr....how did it turn out? Right....well, it's not all done yet (I'm doing an" @Onoff") . I've had to tackle other jobs in tandem to get other trades lined up. So all pipes are in, but not connected yet to my central manifold. However, have a few tips:

- 4 hands are easier than two. I used my ufh pipe coiler which helped when I was on my own.

- make sure all exposed nails/screws are removed! ( I spotted a few errant ones in the floor boarding, luckily none were close to the pipework!)

- label all the pipes as you go. Even though I did this, I double checked by placing my son in the loft and then me blowing through each pipe to confirm each hot/cold pipe was correctly labelled. Had to correct a few this way!

- Better to cut too long than too short!

- Get some decent pipe cutters that CUT properly. My cheapo UFH cutters weren't up to the job, and I need to get some decent Rothenberger ones and recut.

- shop around for the pipework and peripherals.  Most of mine I got from fleabay. And if you plan to get manifolds, they can be £££ 

Edited by oranjeboom
  • Thanks 1