Grand Designs Live Birmingham

I am planning on going to Grand Designs Live in Birmingham next month. As I will be flying there can anyone that has been there previously please tell me how long I would need to comfortably see all the exhibits, is one day 2 short, should I go for 2?

Also I would be visiting for interior design ideas (flooring, wall tiles, kitchens etc), is it worthwhile for this?

Edited by ultramods

I visited Grand Designs Live in London this year, my second ever visit. In my case one day was plenty, even a long half day was enough. Of course, it depends slightly on what you're after but generally I found it to be focused on window companies, under-floor heating companies, and then the usual range of water-softener salesmen, novelty picture and candle sellers, and kitchen gadgets. Overall I found it rather disappointing. For me at my stage of my build, it paled besides a visit to the NSBRC in Swindon on one of their periodic exhibition days.

Just my tuppence worth.

Edited by Dreadnaught
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dreadnaught said:

I visited Grand Designs Live in London this year, my second ever visit. In my case one day was plenty, even a long half day was enough. Of course, it depends slightly on what you're after but generally I found it to be focused on window companies, under-floor heating companies, and then the usual range of water-softener salesmen, novelty picture and candle sellers, and kitchen gadgets. Overall I found it rather disappointing. For me at my stage of my build, it paled besides a visit to the NSBRC in Swindon on one of their periodic exhibition days.

Just my tuppence worth.

I was hoping to use if for interior design inspiration. Do you think it would be worthwhile for this?

IMO 1 day is more than enough - accept if you do go away after a few hours, bury yourself in your build issues and make a plan to go back the next day and ask all the questions you forgot to ask, then maybe 2 is useful but still a luxury. The OH and I just got there early last year did a morning of looking around separately, had lunch together to compare notes and then went around together looking at each others top picks and asking the questions we had not asked in the morning. Don't forget all the sideshow talks which can consume a lot of time if you are not careful.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ultramods said:

I was hoping to use if for interior design inspiration.

Nope - you will mostly only see components EG flooring / furniture / lighting, not finished stuff the ideal home exhibition is better for interior design inspiration I suspect (my Brother and his OH go every year) we are not at that stage yet but might take a trip this year for that exact purpose.

Edited by MikeSharp01
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Nope - you will mostly only see components EG flooring / furniture / lighting, not finished stuff the ideal home exhibition is better for interior design inspiration I suspect (my Brother and his OH go every year) we are not at that stage yet but might take a trip this year for that exact purpose.

Looks like we have missed the ideal home exhibition for this year and the next one will be too late ?

@ultramods it is unlikely that this is relevant for you but for interior design I am planning to attend an interior-design course. Its £150 for 6x short classes with a private interior-design company close to my plot. In a similar vein, I know of one other person on BH who is going on a (different) course.

I have no knowledge of, skill in, or aptitude for interior design whatsoever. The idea is to hopefully pick-up some basic principles but perhaps even better to spend time in the company of others from whom I can beg-borrow-and-steal ideas and without spending too much money doing so.

Edited by Dreadnaught
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dreadnaught said:

@ultramods it is unlikely that this is relevant for you but for interior design I am planning on attending an interior-design course. Its £150 for 6x short classes with a private interior design company close to my plot. In a similar vein, I know one other person on BH who is going on a (different) course.

I have no knowledge of, skill in, or aptitude for interior design whatsoever. The idea is to hopefully pick-up some basic principles but perhaps even better to spend time in the company of others from whom I can beg-borrow-and-steal ideas and without spending too much money doing so.

Hopefully the interior designer isn't laurence llewelyn-bowen.

My fear is that we choose flooring that we don't like after a short period and would then be expensive to replace.

• Haha 1

The idea of an interior design course sounds more useful than going to the Grand Designs show, or some of the other shows, come to that.  We were both fairly disappointed with most of the shows we went to, the one exception being the self build and renovation centre in Swindon ( https://www.nsbrc.co.uk/ ).  We've been there probably four or five times now, and found it far and away the best of them.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ultramods said:

My fear is that we choose flooring that we don't like after a short period and would then be expensive to replace.

I fully sympathise. I barely trust my own taste to pick out a single item sensibly let alone a number that form a harmonious whole (whatever that means). I can look at something and think it looks nice but I have no conception as to why.

Edited by Dreadnaught
  • Haha 1

Via their online service, my local library provide access to several home styling magazines, including lots of back issues, for free as long as you are a member. I find them very helpful to flick through and get ideas for colour schemes, finishes, and so on.

• Like 1

I have visited 3 self build shows this year and Grand Designs London (Excel) in 2014.

The talks at the 3 shows this year were the highlight and one day would not be enough particularly if booking some free expert one-on-one consultation. As my plot was still a green field at the time, every aspect of self build was of interest.

• NEC in the spring wins for sheer scale.
  • Swindon was good too and has a niche feel plus lots of informative fixed exhibition displays.
  • Bicester Build It was a dud as it was about 1/4 the size of NEC and seemingly relying on its proximity to that large self build site Graven Hill nearby.
  • Grand Designs was a disappointment as it feels like a confused hybrid of a self build show and the Ideal Home show. Grand Designs has for too much generic show filler exhibitors selling ceramic knives, loft ladders and inflatable hot tubs. I have seen those each year at the Southampton Boat Show. 

My tip for interior design is artistic theft, just copy stuff you like.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Cambs said:

A quick web search turned this one up - open to the public on 22nd September.  Never been though.  Might be worth a look at the Exhibitor list to see if it might meet your needs

https://www.100percentdesign.co.uk/exhibitor-list

I will be there on the Thursday evening as it’s the late night - only time I can get. 

Anyone wants tickets let me know as I can register you as trade (I think ..!)

Grand Designs is more of a shopping experience these days for kitchen utensils & patio furniture.

Home Building & Renovating Show in March is much better.

I think you can get far more out of a couple of hours on pinterest or houzz for design ideas.

UK Construction week is on at the same time as Grand Designs & has some interesting stuff. 

Combining both exhibitions may make the trip worthwhile.

On 03/09/2018 at 16:11, ultramods said:

I am planning on going to Grand Designs Live in Birmingham next month. As I will be flying there can anyone that has been there previously please tell me how long I would need to comfortably see all the exhibits, is one day 2 short, should I go for 2?

Also I would be visiting for interior design ideas (flooring, wall tiles, kitchens etc), is it worthwhile for this?

I have been to Grand designs a few times - I live less than an hour from the NEC.  I wouldn't bother again myself unless I had a day with nothing to do but thats because most of it is stuff you can find anywhere plus the candle maker, glass pictures, vegetable choppers et al....those even seem to find their way into Crufts these days.  My top tip if you do go is to get there at opening time, the place is heaving by lunchtime and its difficult to get to see much with the crowds, also take your drinks and snacks in with you if you can, the queues and prices inside are horrendous. If you have never been you will enjoy it but not sure you will come away with much of any real use.

If you are looking for interior design ideas then as well as the usual Pinterest Houzz etc I would suggest you do a tour of the show homes in your area, go to see the pricey ones with more upmarket finishes too there is nothing like seeing things in the flesh so to speak. If you are unsure of yourself on interior design then yes go on a course if there is one available, it may give you confidence.  You could always employ an interior designer to give you some pointers, you don't need to employ them to do the 'scheme' just give you some ideas on things and help in pulling the look together. Would probably cost less than your trip to Birmingham.

Very worthwhile going to upmarket kitchen and bathroom showrooms too, ideas are there for the stealing. A good independent is very useful for kitchen planning - a cut above the sheds etc, you dont have to buy just get ideas ditto on the bathroom showrooms.

Get tester pots of paint, paint onto big pieces of card or the back of a piece of wallpaper and pin up on the wall to see how it looks, get samples of everything, paint, flooring, upholstery etc and put them together, you will soon see what 'goes' and what doesn't.

Its easy to do mood boards - just get a big sheet of card and from your short lists stick on the paint swatches, flooring, carpet and curtain samples etc, photos of lighting, all that stuff it gives you a good idea of how things come together and you can note details like suppliers etc.................I prefer an actual mood board that I make myself better than a virtual one on the screen because I think you also need to consider the feel of things not just a flat photo. Texture, not just colour, is an important part of interior design in my view. When we moved a few years ago I came across my mood boards for the house we built in the late 80's........Hoarder LOL

When I am doing something be it a whole house or just a room I always carry with me samples of my colours, bits of wood, tile etc (very heavy handbag) so that if I chance upon something I can whip out my samples and see how they look, you never know when you will spot a gem that is just the piece you need. Don't be afraid to mix bargain buys with more expensive designer options along with a few treasured pieces that you already have.

Confidence in your own personal taste and style is what you need, who wants to live in house that looks like its come from a catalogue, you need to inject your own personality into it, make it yours.....but not lime green and purple of course!

Anyone visiting the NEC for GD wants to pop in to me for a visit and a cuppa  you would be welcome.

• Like 3