Sensing mains switching with Arduino

PeterW

Guest Alphonsox
1 hour ago, TerryE said:

I've just been doing a bit of research and it turns out that this isn't the case.  Reputable manufacturers do have an on-card flash controller in front of the flash chip(s) ( and this is often an ARM chip! ) and this controller does implement wear leveling.  See Bunnie:studios - 2Gbyte microSD card and Bunnie:studios - On MicroSD Problems which describes an epidemic issue of knock-off clones where the counterfeiters save cost by leaving out this controller and use a very simple interface which does no wear leveling.    If you sudo cat /sys/block/mmcblk0/device/cid this will output a 32 hex digit output.  Use https://goughlui.com/static/multicid.htm or layout below to decode.  It turns out one of my SD cards is a bit suspicious, and has a questionable life, but luckily I only use them as /boot and effectively never write to them, so this isn't an issue for me.

Thanks Terry very interesting. This may explain why I have had a lot better results with SD cards since I moved to using SANDISK only, and only ever bought from reputable sources.

The microSD standard does not support TRIM; only SSD -- but the Linux kernel only supports TRIM over eSATA and USB3 interfaced controllers.  (eMMC does which is why the new RPi clones which support eMMC and USB3 have a big I/O performance hike over RPi.)

I believe that we have the same potential issue with cheap SSD clones, which is why provenance of SSD and microSD devices is of material importance.

Guest Alphonsox

I've been half considering getting a RPi CM3 (The only version which does include eMMC) but I'm not sure my eyes are up to the level of soldering required.