Changing a planning condition

Triassic

Does it say anything about 'like for like' in which case you would have to provide examples.

On our conversion project the condition was to keep the existing metal cladding or replace on a like for like basis. However it was always our intention to change the cladding and yes it was a risk that they would refuse any alternative but we put in a formal application to change this condition and thankfully they accepted it without any issues whatsoever. We had to pay £190 application fee and my son drew up a 3D sketch up to show them what the new cladding looked like. I think it helped going down the formal route as many councils are strapped for cash so welcome easy money like this and you get what you want without a big fight on your hands.

They might.  I guess a lot depends on the context - e.g. conservation area  and what the prevailing finish is.  If say, you should be putting on Welsh slate, but put up Spanish or Chinese that looks different...

5 minutes ago, Tosh said:

Does it say anything about 'like for like' in which case you would have to provide examples.

The condition tells me where to source the materials from, a monopolistic supply situation. No mention of alternatives.

1 hour ago, Triassic said:

The condition tells me where to source the materials from, a monopolistic supply situation. No mention of alternatives.

Just do it.

Ian

PS

Stupid of me to suggest that given that I know where you live. Apologies.

Ask me why I've become so cynical. Dare ya.

I'm no expert wrt planning, only with what worked for us but if you're adamant about changing it I'd suggest the formal change of condition. Have a look on your CC website and they should have a process for that.

51 minutes ago, Triassic said:

The condition tells me where to source the materials from, a monopolistic supply situation.

Ah - you may be in a conservation area or some such where such things can be mandated. Competition law may not apply here as the condition was part of your planning permission and you went ahead anyway, and in doing so accepting the use of the stated material. Naturally that does not preclude you going for a change of material in the normal way of things. However - given how much you have in the bank, what is the cost difference anyway to good natured rich folk like yourselves9_9

2 hours ago, MikeSharp01 said:

However - given how much you have in the bank, what is the cost difference anyway to good natured rich folk like yourselves9_9

A few thousand and it’s better in my bank and not some mate of the planners.

I did hear of someone that was given a condition to use Scottish slate and submit a sample.  He submitted a sample of Spanish slate, the planners approved it and that was what he used. He omitted to mention where it came from.

I think people have actually submitted samples with fake labels on before now, labelling the sample they want to use as being one from the mandated local source.  The planners really don't care too much as long as it looks OK and they can tick the box that says they complied with the local rules...

You can always say that the samples were labelled when you received them if they query it, so suggesting that it's someone else's error if it ever gets picked up.

Someone on this or another forum was supposed to use slate from a particular local quarry so he sent a sample with the name of the quarry written in pencil on the back, it was accepted by the planners but he admitted to us it was Spanish slate!.