Hello from shetland

Hobbiniho

Hi there my name is michael, i am a fully qualified timeserved joiner although i dont work in the industry any more. i have recently bought my first house, a 1930's mass concrete 3 bed detached property in need of renovation iv already read quite a few threads particularly ones about ASHP's. i look forward to asking lots of questions and also hopefully answering some. as luck would have it the google car drove right past my house https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@60.3987168,-1.3569497,3a,75y,209.76h,84.8t/data=!3m5!1e1!3m3!1sSDLemd0aE03hF1BJtKL_zg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DSDLemd0aE03hF1BJtKL_zg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D154.13452%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100

Hi Michael, welcome to the forum. I think you have now snatched the ‘ furthest north member’ badge. Looks like a nice property and look forward to hearing how you get on with the renovation 

Cute. I rented a very similar house in Tongue (north coast of Sutherland). Had the kitchen extension on the end rather than the back but otherwise looks alike. Same dormer pattern.

What's the ground floor? I considered buying the one in Tongue when the owners put it up for sale but various things put me off. The biggest was that the ground floor was solid concrete so adding insulation there would have been hard work. Without foundations and with the water table at ground level most of the year I'd have been very nervous about digging it out to any depth to replace with insulation. They're not all like that, though; another house up the road which I think was originally the same but had a fire many years ago and had been rebuilt a bit larger had a suspended wood ground floor.

A warm welcome.  Do you have any specific plans as yet for the renovation. If it's anything like Orkney, I'm guessing there will be some frenetic activity just now with fuel poverty reduction measures being rolled out (insulation, schemes to use curtailed wind generation) so you may be able to get some grant assisted support.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Hi and welcome to the forum

You have knocked @Stones (Orkney) off the most northerly member spot.

?

hi guys thanks for the welcome, so far plans are to strip out insulate and re plasterboard, removing the storage heaters, finish the rewire that the previous owner started including ditching E7 and the pre pay meter, its a right bodge of different bits added here there and everywhere, iv counted 5 consumer units of various ages.

Probably replumb the whole thing as well as adding radiators for the ASHP and a "megaflo" i am fairly confident that i can get the RHI payments as my EPC is only 44, im also looking into the interest free loan to install it aswell, i looked into getting insulation grants but its means tested so i wouldnt qualify plus there is about a 2 year waiting list up here iv attached a drawing that i managed to do on a free online drawing tool to show the layout.

floor plan to scale.PNG

• Like 1