Static caravan = no probs. Humble shed = noooo.

epsilonGreedy

My site is subject to multiple prohibitions post build i.e. no conservatory ever and not even a humble garden gazebo. I am ok with this because of the sensitive nature of the plot in the heart of a conversation area village.

Prior to purchasing a static caravan I contacted my local planning office for an opinion. The feedback mirrored prevailing advice here that a static caravan for workers accommodation is an assumed  right and does not need to be referenced in the planning approval but they need to see continual direct involvement with the build by the occupant. My local planning department warned they police this matter and will not tolerate site accommodation ahead of building work and there is a limited window for stalled builds beyond which a static would be deemed to be an unauthorized private dwelling.

All this means no problems for me.

I then threw into the conversation that I assumed an 8 x 6 wooden garden shed would not be an issue because it would be a storage shed for building equipment as seen in many building sites. Got a big thumbs down on that, I would need to seek planning permission for the site storage shed though the planning officer could not indicate the price for the application because I would not yet be a householder.

Swmbo requires a washing machine somewhere. Think I might just pour my garage concrete slab early, plonk the shed on there and claim it will morph into the approved garage structure in time.

30 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Shipping container.

I could really upset village aesthetics and park a Transit van MOT failure onsite and fit a plumbed washing machine in that. Tis all a bit silly compared to a shed painted olive green to blend in with the foliage.

Just build the garage and then it can act as your storage area for all the materials you will use. Can also be an office, tea hut and maybe even a toliet area if your putting one in it. Will be a practice run for you to fine tune how your build might go.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, epsilonGreedy said:

then threw into the conversation that I assumed an 8 x 6 wooden garden shed would not be an issue because it would be a storage shed for building equipment as seen in many building sites. Got a big thumbs down on that,

Errr ... they can’t stop you if it’s ancilliary to building the property ! 

Unless there is a clause in your planning permission that specifically excludes temporary buildings during construction then you can build anything you like as long as it’s deemed temporary. 

Also, a garden shed or greenhouse does not need planning permission as long as it is to the rear of a property in a conservation area - only to the side or front elevation unless specifically removed at PP.  Rules here 

As others have said, build the garage first and use it as practice along with using for storage. 

47 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Just build the garage and then it can act as your storage area for all the materials you will use. Can also be an office, tea hut and maybe even a toilet area if your putting one in it. Will be a practice run for you to fine tune how your build might go.

Yes I am definitely coming around to this idea particularly if we buy a decent static and we feel it is a tenable option for 18 months. Swmbo and I had reviewed our options this evening and I said a Sunday walk through the village or hike in the surrounding hills is just as rewarding if we are living in a finished house or cosy static.

I am learning a lot doing the garage footings block work and like the idea of cutting my teeth on a less critical structure, it is a whole mini building cycle where I will learn hands-on to do everything from wall ties, air brick ducts, beam floors, wall plates, window and door and fitting. Once the garage is roofed the storage limitations of the static will be eased considerably plus we get a proper utility room for a washing machine and dryer.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Also, a garden shed or greenhouse does not need planning permission as long as it is to the rear of a property in a conservation area - only to the side or front elevation unless specifically removed at PP.  Rules here 

The planning permission bans any additional hard structure, raised decking, sheds and green houses are mentioned. The most I hope to get away with is a bin store and french cafe style crank out awning.

38 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Errr ... they can’t stop you if it’s ancilliary to building the property ! 

This was the principal I expected to apply when erecting the shed for the duration of the build. When 1200 blocks arrived on site I had 12 instant hard garden structures. 

Ok so the PP refers to after the build, that’s a pretty stringent set of restrictions and I’m assuming the conservation officer wrote most of them... ask if you can build a brick privy as that’s got to be in keeping with the period ..!

TBH I wouldn’t go with a shed as a tool store as your local light fingered fraternity will relieve you of the tools within it I expect within a week... small container is the way to go - you can buy demountable ones that have a resale value of virtually what you will pay for it so it’s a good investment to sell at the end and doesn’t need lifting into place. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Declan52 said:

Just build the garage and then it can act as your storage area for all the materials you will use. Can also be an office, tea hut and maybe even a toliet area if your putting one in it. Will be a practice run for you to fine tune how your build might go.

That’s exactly what we did 

It acted as shelter store 

And brew room office 

We put the trusses on in half a day

and draged a sheet over and battened it down

Boarded the front and put a temporary ply acces door on

Just now, nod said:

That’s exactly what we did 

It acted as shelter store 

And brew room office 

We put the trusses on in half a day

and draged a sheet over and battened it down

Boarded the front and put a temporary ply acces door on

913A0C73-5F77-4EC2-9145-ADF031CDD524.jpeg

I should have built a shed/garage on my site during the year I was getting planning permission and a building warrant. I now think it would have been fairly straightforward agricultural permitted development as it'd be on a decrofted patch within croft land. Would have been good practice. The 20' container I have is great but something a little wider would have made storage a bit less chaotic and a little longer would have meant there'd have been a lot more weather when I could have been making up the posts and rafters, etc.

I built my garage first under permitted development as a building existed before we demolished (although our stroppy council fought me on that one as well). And it was something to do while i fought the council over our planning application (and won ?). It was the right thing to do as it gave me safe storage, and somewhere to work.

574217D1-1767-4B90-8702-7E961443D533.jpeg

18 hours ago, Declan52 said:

This is a good idea. I have done this. My garages first job is to serve as a extension build storage area and workshop.

29 minutes ago, Ed Davies said:

One question though, if you build the garage before getting planning permission for the main house would you get the zero-VAT/reclaim on any of it? Probably not a deal breaker either way but worth considering.

My garage although built under permitted development was included in the house planning permission (gained after it was built) so VAT can be re claimed.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ed Davies said:

One question though, if you build the garage before getting planning permission for the main house would you get the zero-VAT/reclaim on any of it? Probably not a deal breaker either way but worth considering.

Not if it isn’t in the PP. You can only claim for a garage if it’s included in the PP. 

• Thanks 1