Help what cable

Alexphd1

Need to run in a few cables quick to keep work moving. I remember somebody speaking about using some other cable (twin and earth) so it doesn't react with the eps in a ICF house, or am I cracking up??

Edited by Alexphd1

Vague recollection that LSZH (low-smoke zero-halogen) cable is OK with polystrene. http://www.greenbuildingtalk.com/Forums/tabid/53/aff/4/aft/81523/afv/topic/Default.aspx seems to confirm.

Apart from the normal PVC, LSZH is the only alternative I know of which is commonly available. It's usually specified for use in service voids in commercial premises so is usually in stock in at professional suppliers. Think I've seen it in DIY sheds, too.

Cheers Ed. I asked the icf supplier before you replied and he said the same. Managed to pick up a reel in local tool station.

We will be using conduit as much as possible plus if we over spray with insulation. 

This is for soffit lights etc.

Edited by Alexphd1

• 6 months later...

Hoping I've picked the right thread here...

I'm having underfloor heating in my new summerhouse.  I've rejected solar panels for powering the underfloor heating, so my next option is getting power from the mains.  

There's a charging point outside the back door of the house which we've used for charging up our mum's mobility scooter, and also plugged the lawnmower in there.  I'm guessing we can have cable run from near the charging point to the summerhouse (2 metres away) which we would get a professional to do.  

My question at this point is: can we use an extension cable plugged into the charging point and powering the underfloor heating to test it out before chosing a professional to do the permanent set-up?

Fran

Don't get your hopes too high about being able to use that socket.  It is very likely that is just a spur from an existing ring final.

To do the job properly your electrician will need to work out the total demand and size a suitable cable for that load taking into account the distance.  That might very well (very likely) exceed the capacity of that socket and require a whole new cable to be routed back to your consumer unit.

If the total load of the heating is under 13 Amps then you could plug it into that for testing, but don't rely on that being the permanent feed.