In roof panels

Russell griffiths

From memory, the parts needed, apart from the trays, are side flashings (pretty simple thin black anodised aluminium, bent to fit the side ridges on the trays and with a small upstand under the slates/tiles at the sides), top flashings, again, pretty simple aluminium flashing that goes under the slates, tiles at the top (and ends up hidden), and simple clamps that hold the panels down to the additional bits of timber batten that have to be laid where the fixing points are.

TBH, it's not a very complex system and some of the special flashing can be replaced with ordinary non-lead flashing anyway (at the top and bottom, for example).

The key parts needed are the trays, the panel clamps and EPDM gaskets, the wide-head screws (that also have EPDM washers) and the side flashings.  The rest can be done using off the shelf stuff.  You can probably substitute ordinary metal roofing screws and washers for the ones they use

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

I think from memory there are more components in the GSE solution than the EasyRoof so when you add it up there is a reasonable comparison. 

Still worth getting pricing on both !

The site that I think that @Alexphd1 got that image from is this one, that lists all the parts and their prices: https://www.alma-solarshop.com/94-integrated-mounting-system-easy-roof-gse

These people seem to do all the parts, too: https://zerohomebills.com/product-category/solar-photovoltaic-pv/solar-accessories-and-mounting/mounting/

17 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

TBH, it's not a very complex system and some of the special flashing can be replaced with ordinary non-lead flashing anyway (at the top and bottom, for example).

That's what my fitters  used - see photos

P1040996.JPG

P1040998.JPG

P1050005.JPG

P1050018.JPG

P1040997.JPG

• Like 1

Those are the Enphase micro inverters - M250. One per panel.  

It wasn't possible to locate these inside the house. In any case, I think they need to be outside for ventilation/cooling and also the cable runs would have more complex than I would want.  I think there is an ongoing thread on cable connection inside the roof space which discusses the pro/cons of this

Edited by HerbJ
added microinverter Ref No

I would be interested. Probably be looking for 20x trays. But is it worth the hassle, logistics?

Bulk buy gets pretty complicated when everybody looking for different equipment for example there is 6x different landscape tray sizes to fit different size panels.....(windandsun website got decent UK prices)

Nick managed to set up a nice deal for thermal stores but everybody sorted out their own equipment no come back on Nick for any mistakes. Maybe this would be a better route?

I also need in-roof trays, maybe around 18 but would need to decide on which panels I’m going with.

Maybe a bulk buy from a UK supplier would not be a bad idea, trays, panels, inverters and fixings. 

One thing I'm unsure about is prices, with the end of the FiT is there going to be a rush to the finish line and prices go up.? 

4 hours ago, Triassic said:

I also need in-roof trays, maybe around 18 but would need to decide on which panels I’m going with.

Maybe a bulk buy from a UK supplier would not be a bad idea, trays, panels, inverters and fixings. 

One thing I'm unsure about is prices, with the end of the FiT is there going to be a rush to the finish line and prices go up.? 

The trays are adjustable for panel height, at least the GSE ones are, they have a sort of ratchet system that allows them to be moved up and down to get the spacing right for the panels.

• 2 months later...

planning Q for @JSHarris or anyone else with experience of the GSE system- what's the closest one can get to the verge- as we're using a Kytun- style strip, can the GSE tray go straight into that or does there have to be a side flashing (what's it's width, fitted?) or must there be (say) a slate and a half first?

And is there really no other treatment required if you end the tray into the gutter at the eaves? Does it need to stop short to stop the water from cascading off the panel and past the gutter?

Now that we've roof timbers in-situ and we know how wide the valleys are I'm trying to take a punt at how many panels we can cram in. I've tried Midsummer's online planner but I'm not sure how much side flashings can overlap valleys by etc...

There has to be a  side flashing, which is black aluminium as standard, like the Kytun dry verge (we used this, it's very good).  At a guess, I'd say that the side flashing is around 150mm wide, with an overlap over the edge of the tray that may be around half of that.  I think it should be possible to fit the GSE trays and flashing pretty close to the verge, or you might be able to get Kytun to add a lip on the inner edge to replicate that on the GSE side flashing.  The only other things to sort out would be how to raise this custom dry verge up a bit so that it sits neatly over the edge of the GSE frames, and how to resolve any interface above or below with the roofing slates/tiles. 

Thanks Jeremy. Our verge trim is a 50mm special for the chosen clay tile so there should be space there to sneak the edge of the GSE side flashing in too. Gets us pretty close to the edge without needing to faff too much.

What about at valleys? We'll be using an upstand dry valley like your own, I presume the mounting plate could overlap the valley tray as long as the side flashing was trimmed back as necessary?

1 hour ago, dpmiller said:

What about at valleys? We'll be using an upstand dry valley like your own, I presume the mounting plate could overlap the valley tray as long as the side flashing was trimmed back as necessary?

Should be OK, as there's a slight ridge in the valley mouldings to catch any rain or snow that gets blown under the slates/tiles and I can't see an obvious reason why just trimming the panel side flashing to fit shouldn't work, although it is really designed to go underneath slates/tiles, rather than over them.  The only problem to solve would be how to secure the flashing neatly.  With slates/tiles, they sit over the top of the flashing fixings, the same as for the Kytun dry verge, so they stay hidden.

• Like 1