% spend over build stages

janelondon

Hello,

Can anyone share the rough percentage costs of a TF build over the various build stages, perhaps measured against the typical drawdown stages of a self-build mortgage?

So e.g. - foundations X%, frame erected X%, watertight X% and so on? 

Bonus if you can share timeframes taken to get to each stage - I know this will vary widely depending on size/scale/how build is managed etc. but would like to get a bird's eye view of different experiences. (Trying to plan out cashflow requirements)

Thank you! 

Our initial ground works were very complex and untypical (900 tonnes of soil removed, big retaining wall built, borehole drilled for water, etc) so I'd ignore the basic ground works time below.  The rest are just the best I can remember, really.

Ground works, to level plot with water, drainage and electricity supplies in, but no house foundations = 5 months (should have been 7 weeks - things went horribly wrong with the borehole drilling).

Foundations = 4  days, including installing the UFH pipes in the slab.

Timber frame erection to weathertight, but with door and window opening sheeted over and roof membrane and battens on, but no slates = 4 1/2 days

Door and window installation = 1 day (a bit less than this, but they came back for an hour on another day to fit one incorrectly supplied window).  At this stage the house was secure and watertight

Installation of frame inner VCL board and filling walls and roof with blown insulation =  5 days

Installation of in-roof solar panel frames and wiring = 2 days

Installation of roofing slates, barge boards, soffits, fascias, guttering and downpipes = 5 days

Installation, wiring and testing of in-roof solar panels and inverter = 2 days

External cladding of frame = 7 days

First fix plumbing, wiring and ventilation system = 4 weeks (largely me on my own - could have been a lot quicker!)

Plaster boarding and skimming all internal walls = 2 weeks (with me installing acoustic insulation as the guys were boarding out)

Internal wall and ceiling decorating = 6 days, one chap working on his own, just emulsion on all walls and ceilings

Second fix electrics and testing = 1 week

Internal joinery = 8 weeks (8 days for joiner to fit frames and internal doors, the rest me working on my own fitting skirting and architrave, all oak, so took longer).

Travertine flooring on ground floor and in bathrooms = 3 days (local tiler, working with one labourer)

Bamboo flooring = 5 weeks (me working on my own, should have been a LOT quicker)

Kitchen installation = 3 weeks, two weeks me working on my own fitting kitchen units (should have been about two days) 1 week delay for the stone masons to template then come back and fit the stone work tops.

At this point I really stopped keeping track of time  -things really started to drag out as I was largely working on my own.  Sorry I can't put costs against these elements right now, but I may have a go later.

39 minutes ago, janelondon said:

Hello,

Can anyone share the rough percentage costs of a TF build over the various build stages, perhaps measured against the typical drawdown stages of a self-build mortgage?

So e.g. - foundations X%, frame erected X%, watertight X% and so on? 

Bonus if you can share timeframes taken to get to each stage - I know this will vary widely depending on size/scale/how build is managed etc. but would like to get a bird's eye view of different experiences. (Trying to plan out cashflow requirements)

Thank you! 

various people have detailed breakdowns on their blogs, but you will have to look.

I can give you one ?

Finishing : everything left + available card balances + 10%.

F

• Haha 1