Current best options for solar panels

Triassic

On 24/08/2018 at 10:03, Alexphd1 said:

We looped cable from every panel into the loft space with a connection. This will allow easier maintance and repair down the line, I have not seen anybody else do this.

I don’t  have a loft space under the panels as it’s a cathedral ceilings. I’m thinking that the best place for the inverters is next to the main electrical fuse board, however this is in the basement and a long way from the panels.

Is there any limit on the length of cables from the panels to the inverters?

1 hour ago, Triassic said:

Could someone explain what is single panel optimisation?

Where you have a box of electronics for each panel to do at least part of the job of the inverter so you get a separate maximum-power-point tracker for each panel. Very useful if the panels are likely to get different amounts of sunshine, e.g, because the array is spread over bits of roof with different orientations or slopes or if there's shading that moves across the array during the day.

Sometimes the box has a complete inverter and the output is mains AC. Usually then there's a separate box which co-ordinates them all (e.g., doing the anti-islanding stuff and data display). Or each box can just produce an intermediate output voltage with a separate box doing the conversion to mains voltage.

1 hour ago, Alexphd1 said:

Are you planning 1 inverter or multiple micro inverters?

I'm having two sets of panels, one set south facing and the other east facing, so probably two inverters.

The cable length from the panels to the inverters is around 15 metres.

1 hour ago, Ed Davies said:

Where you have a box of electronics for each panel to do at least part of the job of the inverter so you get a separate maximum-power-point tracker for each panel. Very useful if the panels are likely to get different amounts of sunshine

Luckily the panels will be in full sun, no shadows!

7 hours ago, Triassic said:

Luckily the panels will be in full sun, no shadows!

Having made the above bold statement it got me thinking and looking. 

I’d been thinking along the lines of shadow from the house, chimneys and dormers and such like. Having been in the garden all day I’ve checked and there will shadows from a number of trees, not my trees I hasten to add! So what affect will shadows have on output? Is it even worth fitting panels knowing they will be in dappled sunlight for part of the day?

Unfortunately I don’t have a tree free aspect for a ground mount array.

I’d got into my head that the roof would be above the tree, but having spent the day observing shadows, I’m not so sure. Maybe I’ll have to wait until the house is up and make further observations of shadows then.

Sounds like a good case for micro-inverters: they're a lot less affected by partial shade, AIUI the output goes from all panels being affected by the shade to only those actually in shade being affected by it.

The other obvious point is how does the shaded portion of the day compare to when you would be likely to be using the electricity?

1 hour ago, Triassic said:

Is it even worth fitting panels knowing they will be in dappled sunlight for part of the day?

Panels require light, either direct or indirect. A light but of dappling for a few hours will likely have minimal impact. Also, if trees go bare in winter the impact will be less.

So not as clear cut, but if shading at any point covers 10% of panels then output might only decrease 5% or less.

Microinverters will help.

Your other question about length of cables. One company tried to tell me the inverter had to be close to the panels else losses would be high. I used one of the online models to show that the cable length on DC side has low losses, or DC cable is perhaps 50m and AC is 2m. Works well, we got 4GWh in our first full year from a 4kWp install. Just bear in mind the amount of cable in a drum, it might be better to avoid joints to reduce potential points of failure.

I spotted this in the news

The European Union will end restrictions on the sale of solar panels from China early next week, a move EU producers said would lead to a flood of dumped products.

Maybe panels will get even cheaper?