Current best options for solar panels

Triassic

I’m planning to install a 4kw array of solar panels split between two roofs, one south facing and one west facing. As the FIT is so low I’m planning to install it myself. So the questions are.....

Which all black panels are best for the price?

As it’s a split system, what sort of inverters do I need?

Is there anything else I need to know?

About £1800 seems to be the best price for a 4KW system on ebay, but not necessarily black panels.  Most  4KW inverters will have that as 2 strings on separate inputs so lends itself for example to an E/W split.

Having looked on line I realise there is a bewildering array of options.

Is there a checklist of things I should be looking for and what I should steer clear of.

The system will be in roof, is there in roof kits to look out for?

One last thing, the project designer and all round style guru hates those panels with a silver edge around the panel. If I find panels at a good price with silver edges could I hand paint the silver edge using black paint?

PS. Is it worth the effort, or should I save my money?

Edited by Triassic

2 hours ago, Triassic said:

[...]

PS. Is it worth the effort, or should I save my money?

If you aren't interested in FIT (as we also aren't) then the question of return is about self consumption. I haven't gone into the economics of that as deeply as many here. I just think it's a good thing to do .

Yes: scorched by the heat of my own worthiness. ?

I am and Debbie is about to retire. We are therefore much more likely to consume our own electricity . We intend to make sure that, as far as possible, we schedule consumption during the times when we are producing.

That might mean - for example - making sure we can switch household appliances on  remotely. Not sure how to do that yet, but we'll get there. And a SunAmp of course.

Quite excited about it really. 

6 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

I am and Debbie is about to retire.

Ditto. My debbie retires in November. So we like you will be spending more time at home, so it’s probably worth the effort.

The other thing I need to consider is the price of slates versus the price of panels, it might be cheaper to fit panels!

8 hours ago, Ed Davies said:

If you're not interested in FiT then worth keeping an eye on https://bimblesolar.com/ for cheap second hand panels (usually off big installations which have upgraded for whatever reason). Not dealt with them myself (yet) but they've been around for a while.

I don't think anyone has noted your arrival, @Ed Davies.

Welcome to the forum. Good to see another long term GBFer.

Edited by Ferdinand

I swayed back and for about the FIT. I decided the sums worked for me but it was a close call. £1k premium and no up front vat for 4.5kw system.

I had a good look at two in roof kits the GSE system and the EASY ROOF system both very similar and i believe both French. My installer recomended the GSE as it was easier to install. No major issues when installing ( we installed it ourselves), but there was no exact instructions (maybe online?). Double check your chosen panel is compatible with your chosen inroof kit (most are but not all). You will probably be around £800 for the inroof kit for 4kw of panels.

Prices are steadily falling for panels so pays to shop around. The all black panels with the inroof kit does look very tidy esp on slate (see jsharris house). Break the pv cost down to Cost per watt, makes life easy to compare apples with apples. Maybe hold of as long as possible, when the FIT ends in spring you may pick up some bargains!

We looped cable from every panel into the loft space with a connection. This will allow easier maintance and repair down the line, I have not seen anybody else do this.

Not to sure how to advice on inverters I don't have any first hand knowledge. All seem to have a life span and don't seem worth to repair. SMA sunnyboy inverters have been in the game along time and we picked up one in a bulk solar thermal purchase. If you have shading on roof look at ditching the single inverter and sticking on micro inverters on to each panel ( this was another reason we looped cables into loft space as we have trees but are planning to cut these back).

quick check 300w black 8.33 solar (longest preformance manufacturer warranty I have seen but bit sceptical of 20 year warranty) is £110 each plus vat. You can get a better deal on quantity. 

Edited by Alexphd1
  • Like 1

On 24/08/2018 at 10:03, Alexphd1 said:

We looped cable from every panel into the loft space with a connection. This will allow easier maintance and repair down the line, I have not seen anybody else do this.

Not to sure how to advice on inverters I don't have any first hand knowledge. All seem to have a life span and don't seem worth to repair. SMA sunnyboy inverters have been in the game along time and we picked up one in a bulk solar thermal purchase. If you have shading on roof look at ditching the single inverter and sticking on micro inverters on to each panel ( this was another reason we looped cables into loft space as we have trees but are planning to cut these back).

I am currently adopting this discipline for all new PV enquiries :) Its a no-brainer AFAIC, and means that you only have to go back on the roof if a panel snuffs it. Beware doing this as the manufacturer warranty can be voided if you dont use the connectors / connection method they stipulate. TBH the correct connectors were pennies on a 5.4kWp array so no point in not adhering to that regardless. My knee-jerk was to solder and heat shrink, but the supplier of the ( LG iirc ) panels said they should remain locally demountable and soldering wouldnt perming that. Makes sense upon reflection  its just I would have soldered them without as second thought as your guaranteed a low resistance life-long joint that way.

As there will be an E / S mix of elevations I suggested ( after a nudge from @PeterW ) they went for single panel optimisation, ( attic mounted in one unified location where access is clear, decked and lit, for the MVHR unit ), and then from the attic down to the garage where the inverter will reside directly below the CU. Solar Edge inverter with Export Limitation set for 3.85kW cut off, ( so no dancing around the DNO ;) ), and with a 12 year warranty and dry capacitors make them my No.1 choice.

quick check 300w black 8.33 solar (longest preformance manufacturer warranty I have seen but bit sceptical of 20 year warranty) is £110 each plus vat. You can get a better deal on quantity. 

Yup, very long warranty available with certain panels / manufacturers, but in fairness I don't see LG disappearing overnight so am confident with that warranty tbh.  

Regarding cables warranty, we made up extra 2m mc4 male/female cables and looped them into with a extra connection inside. The panel connectors are still between the panel and flashing. I was warned if we do anything to the mc4 connector on the panel the panel warranty would be invalid.

• Thanks 1

@PeterW we will be running a single inverter in the garage,  it is a concern with cooling if did go the micro inverter route but hopefully the single inverter will work fine. I suppose we could run a extra MVHR intake and exhaust across the loft space,  we have plenty of spare power in the MVHR unit???

Edited by Alexphd1

I had a good look at two in roof kits the GSE system and the EASY ROOF system

I showed these to the roofer, his immediate reaction was, it would be cheaper to fit EDPM or fibreglass under the panels!

What do you all think? Does he have a point?

Edited by Triassic

23 minutes ago, Triassic said:

I showed these to the roofer, his immediate reaction was, it would be cheaper to fit EDPM or fibreglass under the panels!

What do you all think? Does he have a point?

Been discussed a bit here:

Probably do-able, with a bit of thought about the detailing.  I'd be inclined to go for GRP over an additional layer of OSB, and ideally try and copy the big cut outs with raised edges that the GSE and EasyRoof mounts use, as they help a lot with keeping the panels well-ventilated I think (another reason for going with GRP - easier to make up stands, perhaps).