Flue Liner

Hi Guys,

Just looking at our Chimney/Stove situation and i have been given some crazy prices for Flue lining.

Is the lining really necessary?  

We have a block built chimney, a clay flue, with fire cement and chimney fill between the flue and chimney breast.

Is there really a need to put another liner down through this?

Cheers

Damian

You ll probably find its bit too big for working at the stoves best - the stove is likely to be 6 inch or maybe even 5 inch and therefore I d look into lining it. What price have you been quoted? Flue liner is one of those silly industries with high retail prices and high discounts. Admittedly the accessories end up costing as much as a flue.

Have spoken to a few stove people are they are talking around £600 for the flue liner.

I could get a stove for less than that.  Although not a room sealed one.  But it seems like a lot of money for something i already have (even if its a bit bigger)

Presumably the price is parts only?

I assume you will drop the liner yourself or have someone to do it?

If you want, pm me what you need and I ll get a price on it for you - I m back in the office on Monday.

9 minutes ago, daiking said:

Ouch.

We ditched the idea of a stove in a house that would actually have benefited from it because it was just too expensive, even using an existing chimney.

I feel like doing the same but i wouldn't be allowed to live in the house if that happened.

Then id have to live in the garage, and it would NEED a stove!

25 minutes ago, DeeJunFan said:

Not twin wall,

They were talking about dropping a flexi liner.

Is there much of a performance impact?  Is there going to be a return on investment on it?

So it includes the installation of the liner/stove for £600? If so, that's not a bad price.

We have just hda a quote of 6k to provide and install two liners and two stoves.  Needless to say we have declined and are now researching Youtube and www.stovefittersmanual.co.uk
 hope we can do both for about £1,500, wood burner in one room and open fire in the other and that includes some work to the surrounds and hearth.  Just the flue and fittings was about £800 each. and I dont think that included the labour.

The clay liner will last far longer than a flexible steel one. As long as it's being filled round properly and all the flues jointed it will be fine. Do a smoke test to see if there are any leaks.

Put the plate on the bottom with the adaptor to suit your stove and fire away.

It's more the size of the liner than what it's made of and potential leaks. The reality is a less efficient stove will work fine on it as the flue gases will be that much warmer but you may find some more efficient stoves struggle to light and even run in certain weather conditions.

Might be worth checking it's exact size before deciding either way - an 8" flue is almost twice as large as a six inch flue in terms of volume of flue gases to keep warm.

Edited by Trw144

Both stoves I have installed have just fed into the clay liner and I never had any problems. However in both houses the chimney was central to the ridge line and so only a very short section was exposed above the roof, which helps keep things warm.

My inlaws had their stove installed likewise, but their chimney is offset from the ridge and so becomes exposed to the cold more. They (after several years) ended up with condensation problems which resulted in leaks. Ended up getting a flexi liner plus vermiculite installed, top down.

My chimney above the roof will be 550 x 550 and the 200mm liner is central to this.  There is vermiculite filled all around the flue and the chimney breast itself. and i have seen it, fully filled, so happy enough with that.

The Chimney itself was supposed to be central to the ridge but Building control were not satisfied with the design Which included 8 Steels to bring the chimney across at the Joist line. so we are bringing it up off set from the ridge.  The Chimney will be 900mm high above the slates, with the cap and pot on top.  Shouldn't be any issues with the draw as we have a fairly hefty breeze coming down of the mountain almost all year.

My parents house is just in front of ours and there has never been any issues with the flue.  We have had both open fire and 2 different stoves in the last 27 years, and no problems.