I demolished your house, but I'm not moving the debris!

laurenco

We also have a major problem with a the way people have had to move from North to South, creating a ludicrous situation where house prices and land in the South is unaffordable for anyone earning less than a small fortune, and rental costs are even higher, yet house prices and land in the North is far more affordable but there is a dearth of employment.

Just fixing that imbalance would resolve a lot of our housing and employment problems in one hit.  The South of England is NOT a great place to live or work.  If I had my way we'd live in the Borders, or maybe even in the Highlands, where I'd feel right at home, even though I've no Scots ancestry (that I know of).  Not my call though, SWMBO wanted to move back South; I didn't have much say in it...

I’ll add myself to the borderline under 40’s. No passive house build here, just a big returb. But trying to make it sensible cost to run.

I was 6 weeks past the post when we moved in last year. Is the mortgage big, yes! Did we make a bit of money, yes! Will I care in 10 years once we’ve broken the back of it? Probably not. 

• Like 1

Guest Alphonsox
8 minutes ago, Tennentslager said:

Yup, roads here are relatively clear, schools and hospitals great and we have pubs AND coffee.

Nae much hot sun though but hey hey during the hot spell recently no one was a sun fan after 20 days of it?

I'd recommend Northern Ireland but then you might turn up - Compared to England the housing, land and build costs are a lot lower (but then so are the wages). The climates not so bad in the east, and there's no government at the moment or likely to be in the near future.

6 minutes ago, Ed Davies said:

I think the way roads tend to go to towns (or towns are built where roads meet) gives the impression that an area is more crowded than it actually is: Apparent Crowding

I used to fly from Gatwick to Edinburgh every week and on a clear day it was evident how much green space there is from south to north so I agree that there is loads of green space all around with dots of very urban areas. It would be a real shame to lose all of the open space in this country however, although I do think the planning laws are outdated. Requiring people to live on top of each other in small areas of highly populated space is not the best way to live. 

1 hour ago, Alphonsox said:

I'd recommend Northern Ireland but then you might turn up - Compared to England the housing, land and build costs are a lot lower (but then so are the wages). The climates not so bad in the east, and there's no government at the moment or likely to be in the near future.

Plus we have way nicer crisps, proper tayto not that stuff from southern Ireland, plenty of clean fresh air and open country side and a way more relaxed lifestyle. As you have said where else in the world would function better without those in power running it. 

But you have Stephen Nolan in the morning and uncle Hugo in the afternoon and am not sure people from outside NI would grasp what either of them are going on about.

Guest Alphonsox
40 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Plus we have way nicer crisps, proper tayto not that stuff from southern Ireland, plenty of clean fresh air and open country side and a way more relaxed lifestyle. As you have said where else in the world would function better without those in power running it. 

But you have Stephen Nolan in the morning and uncle Hugo in the afternoon and am not sure people from outside NI would grasp what either of them are going on about.

Completely agree on Tayto crisps and uncle Hugo - but as a bona-fide blow-in there is one question I have regarding Nolan ........"!!!!!! HOW MUCH !!!!! ?????" -  I may not be alone in this.

17 minutes ago, Triassic said:

We know one first time buyer renovation couple who are no more! It all got too much for them and they parted

It's pretty stressful for sure. You need a solid relationship with your OH to work through a self build or a renovation and both need to go in eyes open. A self build was sold to me on the basis that I would have a rental in Edinburgh for 6 months and then the house would be ready to move into with just some finishing off to do. And I was taken in by that. PMSL! I got the completion certificate 7 years after I moved out of that apartment! 

2 minutes ago, newhome said:

It's pretty stressful for sure. You need a solid relationship with your OH to work through a self build or a renovation and both need to go in eyes open. A self build was sold to me on the basis that I would have a rental in Edinburgh for 6 months and then the house would be ready to move into with just some finishing off to do. And I was taken in by that. PMSL! I got the completion certificate 7 years after I moved out of that apartment! 

If only I'd picked an easily led one, we could have been living in a caravan on site now for the last ** years! :)

6 minutes ago, Onoff said:

If only I'd picked an easily led one, we could have been living in a caravan on site now for the last ** years! :)

Your missus was clearly a saint in a previous life as she has the patience of one ;)

@Ferdinand is right, I'm one of the younger self builders at 31. In the south no less.

Only reason it has been possible is a combination of factors:

- Saving near enough 25% salary since starting my career. Lived in cheap/shared accommodation until last year to make it happen. 

- left university with no debt, paid via summer jobs, and never taken on any other debt since

- always been frugal. For example, cars have always been sub £3k and bougt outright

- been super fortunate in my education (aerospace engineering) that has landed me an insanely good career.

- inheritance via father-in-law (biggest reason)

- lucky break on a few share options

- decision to project manage and DIY about £40k worth of labour (else we can't afford it). How we do that with two full time jobs between us will be an interesting challenge

I won't deny that the majority of the above is down to privilege and luck. I would definitely consider myself a fortunate outlier, and am very thankful for it.

But if I had a choice, I'd rather have my father-in-law around.

• Like 7

On 24/08/2018 at 22:23, Alphonsox said:

Lots of government spending however. The economy Northern Ireland is supported by the highest ratio of public sector spending seen in the UK. Given the parlous state of the State's finances with central UK Government debt at levels not previously seen since the end of WWII, the NHS breaking down before our eyes while it hoovers up every spare £ in the Government's budget and our pot hole ridden roads resembling a 2nd world country, I do not think mobile property wealth should migrate to NI.