Location of bathroom??

Where to put the bathroom?? Thats been our problem the last few weeks since we bought the house and I decided that it needed a bathroom upstairs.  Who wants to have to go downstairs everytime yoy need to use the facilities, particularly in winter.  And if the buyer s have children, even more so.  But where should it go?  There are not many options. 

map_of_sulby_Garden.jpg

Option A - in the large rear bedroom.  There is space using the old cupboard where the boiler was, with the stack going straight down, through the cupboard in the middle room into the cellar where it can easily cross to the current drain to outside.  Thats the easy bit but we want to put in a bath, whioch could only go along the new left hand wall of the bathroom and that would mean the wall of the smaller bedroom would be almost up to the window which would look odd.  And as the wall is 2 ft thick rubble wall, it would be a huge job to move the window.  So that is not a good option. 

Option B - in the smallest front bedroom.  There is plenty of room and it could even leave about 50cm to add to bedroom 2, which could do with the extra space and would make it a real double room. 

Option C was to put it in the back of the rear bedroom 1 but that would mean loosing space for a small corridor, turning the largest bedroom into the smallest, although the front two would be opened up into one large room. 

This is the small front bedroom. 

P1100162.JPGP1100163.JPG

This room could quite easily take a bathroom.  I would make that window half size, bricking up the right hand pane, with the right hand side of the room moving into the the other front bedrrom, which would make that a nicer size,  its currently only a single and it would make it a small double.

P1100165.JPGBut the problem with that part is where would be put the loo waste stack. It could go straight down but thats through the lounge and into the cellar, but its a long way for it to connect across the cellar to the origonal drain, almost the whole diagonal of the house.  And there may not be sufficient drop.  It could be taken out to the front of the house and down the outside, witha new drain connecion in the alley.  That may not look very nice as its the main part of the house seen and would involve digging quite a large trench to connect it into the drain.  And the OH is convinced we wouldnt get a mini digger in as the access is bad.  I disagree.

Any thoughts?  And how easy is it to connect a stack into an existing drain?  Is it something we could do or would I need to get Angian Water to do it as its their drain?

Edited by TheMitchells

New stack into a drain on your property is fairly simple, and just needs a new manhole. Anglian won't own the sewer on your property of you are the first in the line - it's at your boundary to the next house. 

We use mini diggers with narrow tracks - they go through a standard 762mm doorway and can be widened for stability after moving. If it's just a quick trench you may be better off by by hand tbh as it's surprising how quick you can dig enough for access to a drain if it's not too far down

can you sketch a plan ..?

Need to know about your area and prices of 2 vs 3 bed houses.

My guestimate, as a LL, would be make it 2 bedroom and put ensuite shower rooms into both bedrooms at the lower end of the diagram, then make the downstairs bathroom into a wc/utility for all the kitchen noisy things.

Ferdinand