Expertly topped trees...

1 hour ago, recoveringacademic said:

Ask me why I make the suggestion. Dare ya!

Why?

I ask because we have a tree (with a TPO so we'll need planning) that is around 25-30m high that we're wanting shaped/topped and are about to get some quotes.

42 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

Because the  crown reduction I did ended up looking a right mess, and the job done on the next tree by the local tree surgeon was so expert, from a casual glance, you could hardly see that it  had been reduced.

Makes you wonder why Amateurs should do anything - its about learning - how best to crown reduce a big tree, assessing the risks of DIY - tree climbing with a chain saw sort of risks, and then choosing whether you want to save money spending time or save time, and perhaps injury, spending money. 

My nephew is a fully qualified tree surgeon....aborist or whatever the technical term is. He has been qualifed for a few years now and is very experienced, he has worked all over the world.  He did the equivalent of a degree course at Sparsholt College.... three years.  He works in dangerous situations every day, he wears a go pro camera on his helmet and sends us scary videos! He also works ln the development of new rope safety techniques and getting the same certified for use.  He has ongoing training and cpd.  He works with the emergency services at accidents. There is a huge amount more to this profession than just hacking at a tree with a chainsaw.  He still finds time to come and do my little jobs for me bless him.

Cheers.

My stance is that Topping ... like Frontal Lobotomies and Bleeding of Patients ... belongs as an hysterical artefact, and I cannot see why a competent tree surgeon would even have it on his publicity :-o .

Shaping, crown lifting, pollarding .. yes. Topping .. noooooooo, except perhaps to remembered as a once a decade technique in extremis.

F

• Haha 1