Can I get a grant for loft conversion insulation?

I am building a loft conversion and was wondering if I can get a grant to help with the cost of insulation.  I can't find the answer to this as it seems to apply only to existing loft space or rooms.  Thanks

I think the answer depends on where you live, but seem to recall that you are correct that

19 minutes ago, john k said:

it seems to apply only to existing loft space or rooms.

Share where you live and others from that location may be able to help.

I tried to get that recently for an attic conversion and came to the conclusion it was a non-starter.  From the folk I spoke to it seemed that I could only get it for the horizontal part of the attic, not the sloping part of the roof.  As others have said though it seems to vary enormously from one council area to the next.  I just googled 'free loft insulation' plus the location and it came up with several companies.  I rang a few and they all said pretty much the same thing.  They also had access to old home report energy surveys so they could see what was there already which was interesting.

The grant aided schemes are normally for upgrading existing lofts and are often means tested. Loft conversions come under the Building Regs along with the requirement for insulation at the roof line or flat roof. I assume the thinking is if you can afford a loft conversion then you can afford the insulation to go with it.

A few years ago, I’m going to say 7 or 8, the government handed out targets for things like loft insulation. The main energy companies provided it and it was meant to be for existing lofts with not enough insulation but there were no real checks, you just said you had none and they delivered it for a small delivery fee. Thus they met their target. Cue an  abundance of insulation on eBay and gumtree. The rules are much tighter now. 

These are available via various routes for normal lofts, but - as you say - it is usually for the simple ones, and not on the slope. AIUI.

I have had several rental properties done - most recently in December 2016 iirc.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

Grants in our area are only available to those on a limited list of benefits and low income. They only cover the flat bit of the ceiling, so room in the roof walls won’t be insulated. 

I have a friend who is on benefits and low income and even she does not qualify for a grant.

Edited by Triassic
Typo