laurenco

9 hours ago, laurenco said:

what are shadow gaps?

The gaps around the exterior of the Ali frames. You need between 8-12mm on each side so. If your window is 2000mm with 4 panes you’ll need 2*12mm for each end, then the 3*8mm gaps between windows. So Your wooden frames will be be 2000 - 24mm that’s 1976mm wide. Each Ali frame will be (2000-12-12-8-8-8)/4 so that’s 1952/4 giving us 488mm wide sections. 

From experience if you needed a 500mm escape window.... 

its worth understanding all this, you will get from Velfac a deeply complex contract that you take the risk on. Lovely windows hard to buy. We did a final review at a trade show with them that really helped..

• Like 1

We are using Gaulhofer windows via Ecowin in our MBC frame. Structural openings, as agreed by us with MBC based on advice from Ecowin, allow for a 12mm tolerance on each side of each window so 24mm overall both horizontally and vertically. 

Many hours were spent liaising between MBC and Ecowin and they also liaised directly with each other.  We, as chief checkers of everything, spent many hours checking and rechecking measurements. Both MBC and Ecowin have been thorough.

The final result is not yet known. Windows are on order and should be arriving for fitting next month. We’ll post some updates when that happens.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Weebles said:

We are using Gaulhofer windows via Ecowin in our MBC frame. Structural openings, as agreed by us with MBC based on advice from Ecowin, allow for a 12mm tolerance on each side of each window so 24mm overall both horizontally and vertically. 

Many hours were spent liaising between MBC and Ecowin and they also liaised directly with each other.  We, as chief checkers of everything, spent many hours checking and rechecking measurements. Both MBC and Ecowin have been thorough.

The final result is not yet known. Windows are on order and should be arriving for fitting next month. We’ll post some updates when that happens.

Exactly same position as you with both suppliers. Hopefully they fit after all that!

11 hours ago, laurenco said:

Thank you - I'll give them a call. They're Wilmslow based, which isn't too far from us. Can I ask what sort of money were they? We've been quoted £30k for c.400m2 of render/renderboard/battening.

We'd booked the windows, but need to confirm final sizes, but I really don't want the frame to be 'open' through winter, so ideally I'll get this boxed off

I think we paid £8k for about 105m2 - that was for Alumasc render which I really rate. 

if you do end up leaving the windows open, you can cover them up with poly tunnel polythene. MBC did this for us and it was a godsend given the heavy rain we then had

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dreadnaught said:

With only the most limited of knowledge of the circumstances in question, and with the benefits of hindsight in light of the knock on consequences for the rest of her build, it strikes me that in @lizzie's case rectification may have been insufficient. Perhaps a solution similar to that for @PeterStarck

might have been better. That is to cut up the slab, cart it away, and start again. 

Just an uninformed guess. 

(For clarification, as I recall MBC had nothing to do with @PeterStarck's build.)

That is correct. I had never heard of MBC in 2009 when I was researching for my build. My frame was supplied by a local company and is a completely different type of design and construction to that of MBC.

13 hours ago, JSHarris said:

This was a somewhat different situation to the one that I think@PeterStarckhad, in that the slab was structurally sound.  I believe his had structural defects, rather than cosmetic defects.

My slab had voids in the concrete as a result of the concrete 'going off' too quickly resulting in areas of weakness. Different solutions were proposed none of which I considered worth the risk so it was agreed that the slab would be replaced completely.

Thanks for confirming that, @PeterStarck, I remembered you'd had serious slab problems and thought they were structural, rather than essentially cosmetic.  I think it's easy to forget that laying a flat, smooth, structurally sound, reinforced concrete slab isn't that easy a job; even the very best contractors can get it wrong, especially when a few random factors like delayed concrete deliveries, kit breaking down, or the variable British weather, are thrown in.