My timber frame is due to go up in a short while and I'm thinking about getting a drone to film some of the action.

I've never bought one before and have no experience of them; I also don't want to spend too much.

Is it worth it and does anyone have any recommendations?

My only experience is that buying a cheap will only dossapoint you,  they will get you the angle but they won’t get you the shot you want. 

I have been really impressed with my DJI phantom 4 and similarly impressed with my fathers mavic pro but unless you spend 4 figures I fear you will be dissapointed and then end up spending the money anyway. 

I have a DJI Mavic Pro and it's been great - not too complicated to use and produces decent quality pics/videos. If you don't want to buy one yet, you can try renting one at fatlama.com to try out the different features before committing to one! (Edit - just realised fatlama is predominantly a London service...)

Edited by janelondon

Just a thought.....

If a drone happens to fly over your house are you within your rights to shoot it down?

Don't get me wrong I'd do so without a second thought. Just wondering as to the legalities.

Edited by Onoff

52 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Just a thought.....

If a drone happens to fly over your house are you within your rights to shoot it down?

Don't get me wrong I'd do so without a second thought. Just wondering as to the legalities.

No you can’t as that’s criminal damage. You could go to the faa but that’s about it. Fwiw if you shot down my drone I would come back with a much bigger gun ?

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

No you can’t as that’s criminal damage. You could go to the faa but that’s about it. Fwiw if you shot down my drone I would come back with a much bigger gun ?

If some pervy twat was hovering over my house I'd shoot it, and then them. Courts would be a secondary consideration ;) 

"My home is my castle" so stay the fcuk away from it. ?

@vivienz

How about some scaffold poles, one at each opposite corner, with a pair of good quality time-lapse cameras pole mounted for the best shots. Seeing the TF fly up, which it will, is something I'd like to immortalise if I had the chance. 

There has to be some spotty geek who will come out for a few hours a day and capture some video for you? 

Ask the guts which days will be ground floor up / first floor up / roof on and book said spotty man accordingly. ?

@Nickfromwales I am wondering why you think that drone = perv? Sounds like you've had some traumatic past experience :S

@vivienz there are people who have drones who will take video footage / photos. Not sure how much they'd charge but I bet you'd find someone on a local FB group or similar who would do it. 

3 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

If some pervy twat was hovering over my house I'd shoot it, and then them. Courts would be a secondary consideration ;) 

"My home is my castle" so stay the fcuk away from it. ?

+1. My cess pool is deep.

Like Guy N Smith's The Sucking Pit....

Edited by Onoff