Renovation about to start... once we've got builders

Becky M

Hello!

First post here, I'm Becky, based in North Bristol and about to renovate a large 1960s house.  We moved in pre Christmas and have been working with an architect up until now.  He's just provided our plans to us and we're about to go out to tender to builders.   The house is old and tired, with original carpets a la the Queen Vic pub!  But we bought it for its location and lovely garden.   Lots to do to it and we plan to move out as its going to have everything done to it.  We've got twins of 4 and I wouldn't want to live in it whilst all that is going on......    So looking forward to learning from others here as from now on we'll be taking it forward ourselves.

Hi Becky and Welcome. You'll get great advice on here - it's a bit quiet this afternoon though

I'm in Yorkshire but my sister lives in Almondsbury so might pop in a say hallo next time I'm down..

Guest Alphonsox

Hi and welcome to the forum - I drive through the interchange most days when i'm heading into the office (Parkway) from the Forest of Dean. There are a good few members in the Bristol area.

1 hour ago, Hecateh said:

@Becky M Definitely will - whereabouts are you.  My sister is on Knowle Close - it's gorgeous round there isn't it.  (She is a lot wealthier than Me lol).

PM me rather than putting your specific location on here is prob best

Ahh that's lower Almondsbury, I'm the other side of the A38.   It is nice there, we moved here for the Primary School and at the time we were looking there were very few properties on the market.  The house we bought had 10 offers on it as the size of its plot meant it was very attractive to developers, luckily the then owners wanted it to go to a family so we were lucky and happy it became our home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alphonsox said:

Hi and welcome to the forum - I drive through the interchange most days when i'm heading into the office (Parkway) from the Forest of Dean. There are a good few members in the Bristol area.

Thanks Alphonsox, I commute into central Bristol every day from Parkway.   Are you renovating somewhere currently?

11 minutes ago, Becky M said:

Ahh that's lower Almondsbury, I'm the other side of the A38.   It is nice there, we moved here for the Primary School and at the time we were looking there were very few properties on the market.  The house we bought had 10 offers on it as the size of its plot meant it was very attractive to developers, luckily the then owners wanted it to go to a family so we were lucky and happy it became our home.

@Becky M close enough for me to make a visit next time I'm down - I'll let you know when I'm coming and we'll see if we can arrange something.  Close to the end of my build now though so pretty hectic

Edited by Hecateh

Guest Alphonsox
12 hours ago, Becky M said:

Thanks Alphonsox, I commute into central Bristol every day from Parkway.   Are you renovating somewhere currently?

I'm currently trying to finish a new build in Northern Ireland while working a full time job nominally based in Bristol (although I spend a lot of time elsewhere).