Pallet Buster - Articulated

Onoff

Motivational chat Welshman style = grow a pair! ?. Tough love ...

Why can’t you just practice cutting the mosaics? Via some old or cheap ones to start with if you don’t want to wreck any. 

TBH, joking aside, that's a damned handy bit of kit.  We must have had around 20 or so pallets that collected around the site, some decent ones, some rubbish ones.  In the end our landscaping chap asked me what I was going to do with them all and when I said I hadn't a clue, he offered to take them back to his yard in his small tipper truck and then burn them.

As it happens, about a month later he was building some raised beds for us out of stone and we were chatting about the amount of topsoil we needed to get in to do the lawn and fill the raised beds he was making.  I'd remembered reading somewhere about putting wood ash in the bottom of raised beds, so he offered to fill his truck up with ash from his yard bonfire (some of which was from our pallets) and bring it over to use as a base layer, under the top soil in the raised beds.  Not sure if it does any good or not, but at least it semi-recycled the old pallets, albeit with the release of a fair bit of CO2

If I'd had something that made it easy to strip the pallets I'm sure I'd have found a use for the timber somewhere.  Anyway, stacked timber takes up a lot less space than stacked pallets.  Next we need an easy de-nailer, to get the bloody awful ring shank nails out of old timber...

Dog rough sketch but this is mine. Be aware of the width between angles and mod if req'd to suit the pallet main members:

18806216_PalletBuster.thumb.jpg.491fb8397b323b70c3044e765345c4f6.jpg

Don't forget to put the st/st nylocs on the bolts with a bit of copper slip etc. Stops them binding!

Making it look pretty with a rattle can found in the garage:

IMG_20180822_193207786.thumb.jpg.36f88084a60bea8fa09bb86ae6a0ed5a.jpg

Can spray paint go out of date? Damp, early evening isn't maybe the best time to spray tbh...the runs!

Anyway, paint finish should last for a good 30 seconds on the tool's next outing!

Edited by Onoff

1 hour ago, PeterStarck said:

@Onoff the Screwfix version looks a bit puny compared to yours. Isn't there more danger of the boards splitting if the lifting plates aren't articulated?

I would hope their's is toughened steel maybe like fork prongs. Without trying it I don't know how well it performs but it appears to work equally as well as mine if not better and be lighter. Gut feel is that the "S" bend shape of the forks adds strength and also aids the lifting action, lifting one side first then the other? Tbh lifting one side first then the other should take less effort. MIne was specifically made with the intent of putting equal pressure across the two nails - it therefore takes more grunt. I reckon there's less chance of splitting the wood. Tricky one to call!

The corporate sell for the Roughneck:

Using it for real:

This was the one I was at one time going to copy.....doubles for getting cats off of pallets ;)

As ever I did mine as much for the satisfaction and the simple "could I". 

I can! :)

30 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

@Onoff 

I dare you. Take a pallet in to Screwfix and test it.

Wet pallets seem to lead to rusty nails in my experience. The combination of swollen, wet wood and nails that have grown with rust can make them tough to bust up. Then you get pallets that have gotten wet previously but (like now) are super dry. Busting those and the now shrunken wood can in fact pull off the rusted nails leaving the nails in the bearers.

Just now, PeterStarck said:

The Roughneck looks ok, I wonder how it would cope with thicker boards and cut nails. I guess there's only one way to find out.

One bonus is the boards and joists should be dry so no swelling to overcome...hopefully they'll come out with just that satisfying screech! 

17 minutes ago, Onoff said:

One bonus is the boards and joists should be dry so no swelling to overcome...hopefully they'll come out with just that satisfying screech! 

Unfortunately it has rained a couple of times recently and I've removed most of the roof, only the rafters to go. The floorboards have got wet and swollen so unless we have a dry spell they might not come up too easily.

IMG_20180823_151103.thumb.jpg.a597c8ab0d71304a9b41a95ac3c3476c.jpg

13 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

Unfortunately it has rained a couple of times recently and I've removed most of the roof, only the rafters to go. The floorboards have got wet and swollen so unless we have a dry spell they might not come up too easily.

IMG_20180823_151103.thumb.jpg.a597c8ab0d71304a9b41a95ac3c3476c.jpg

What you need is a big shed to store stuff in...to stop it getting wet... :)

Seriously you took 8 years on the house so the shed needs to compliment it and look a bit "special" I'm thinking!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, newhome said:

It’s not a call for a night on the tiles then ? 

Missus said earlier "Where are we on the tiles?"

"Can't be arsed!" said I.

She's decorating No.1 daughter's room and I'm drinking beer.

4 minutes ago, newhome said:

She must have been shocked for a moment that you were heading towards the finish line. Back to reality now ? 

Occasionally I'll EXTRUDE something...heart's not really in it at the mo...

pal.JPG.66a6979194421051e0716ff798e74125.JPG

EDIT: Hunger may be a factor, today my intake has consisted of:

- 3 slices buttered toast

- 1 bag Rib 'n Saucy things

- 1 bag Walkers Sensations (Thai Sweet Chilli)

- 1 bag Kashmiri Chicken Naan Chips

- 1 handful cheesy things from the pound shop

- a handful of Drumstck flavour sweets

A way to a man's heart is...well clearly some women have no idea! 

:)

Edited by Onoff

• 3 years later...