Pallet Buster - Articulated

Onoff

I downloaded some part dimensioned drawings ages ago to make one but too lazy/stubborn  to find them so going for it by gut!

Some 32mm round bar last seen on the core drill guide when replacing the water main. A ropey old bit of 1/4" angle last used umpteen years ago for welding practice. A Starrett etc.

20180819_152711

20180819_152653

20180819_155230

After a half ar$ed attempt at removing the mill scale:

20180819_155824

Don't wait up...

:)

Quick for me! Pity it doesn't work! :)

Rough and ready but looks alright:

20180820_134810

The Parkside arc welder came out:

20180820_134810

The PROBLEM is this:

20180820_135006

The arms need to be cranked or curved to present the lifting angles flat to the planks. This way it BREAKS pallets that are really well nailed on.

Quite what personality trait made me make them like that when I KNEW I needed to  (I think there's even a CAD drawing somewhere I did) we'll never know! :)

Give up and consign to the fail bin or try again...

Edited by Onoff

4 hours ago, Declan52 said:

Obviously yours will have a quirky detail or go faster stripes.

Mine's for taking the pallet apart to be able to reuse the timber not breaking it up for firewood. The basics are that it fits like this in these (staged) pics:

20180820_225415

Then levers back; the angle rotates about the bolt and lifts the plank up without splitting it:

20180820_225453

Tried it earlier with just one leg complete and it seems to work a treat.

9 hours ago, Onoff said:

Tried it earlier with just one leg complete and it seems to work a treat.

I hadn't thought of that idea but that looks good for when I want to remove the floorboards in the old bungalow. I want to reuse them, along with the 4"x2" frame timber, to build a shed.

1 hour ago, PeterStarck said:

I hadn't thought of that idea but that looks good for when I want to remove the floorboards in the old bungalow. I want to reuse them, along with the 4"x2" frame timber, to build a shed.

It'd work a treat I reckon. I think you need the lifting angles pretty much the same width as the board you are lifting to put even pressure across the board and the pivot point dead central. My angles are just <4" long as that's what the bit of scrap angle ended up cut in two. As I say this was made ad hoc with just a feel for what works.

Guessing your boards are nailed down with cut nails?

Do you have the "scrap" to make one?

I could cobble together a "kit" of parts pre cut and give to you with the welder if you wanted or even knock one up (if you're not in a hurry :) ).

• Like 1

Genius mate. I have a never ending supply of pallets and they get used for all sort, I don’t have a pallet buster only pry bars....  if it all works out then maybe you could post the plans / dimensions so that people can print it of and go build there own. I know I would like to have a go. Great excuse to buy the welder I have been eying off....... 

32 minutes ago, Cpd said:

Genius mate. I have a never ending supply of pallets and they get used for all sort, I don’t have a pallet buster only pry bars....  if it all works out then maybe you could post the plans / dimensions so that people can print it of and go build there own. I know I would like to have a go. Great excuse to buy the welder I have been eying off....... 

Nothing that's not already been done, all over the net tbh!

Anyway IT WORKS! Actually pretty effortless tbh. 

IMG_20180821_150055295.thumb.jpg.49b366d78f8a7df7eb93b24599b0afda.jpg

I might replace the steel tube handle with a bit of thick wall ali tube I scored (30 years ago) as I imagine it could get a lump to wield after a while.

I need to trim the M12 bolts that the angles pivot on, this so it can slip over "two inch" main members on pallets. At the mo the distance between angles is nom 54mm. If I reversed the angles so they pointed outward it'd go over a 90mm main member. 

Happy enough anyway, cost nowt but some leccy, discs and rods.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Onoff said:

It'd work a treat I reckon. I think you need the lifting angles pretty much the same width as the board you are lifting to put even pressure across the board and the pivot point dead central. My angles are just <4" long as that's what the bit of scrap angle ended up cut in two. As I say this was made ad hoc with just a feel for what works.

Guessing your boards are nailed down with cut nails?

Do you have the "scrap" to make one?

I could cobble together a "kit" of parts pre cut and give to you with the welder if you wanted or even knock one up (if you're not in a hurry :) ).

Yeah they're cut nails.

Thanks for the offer, I'll have to have a measure up when I've finished taking the roof off. It's a dismantling not a demolition of the bungalow so it's taking a while, but then so did the build.

4 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

How's the bathroom, son?

?

He’s clearly naval gazing ?.  Mustering up Dutch courage to do THE most visible part via plenty of beer and diversionary tactics ?

20 hours ago, Cpd said:

Do you get one type of pallet generally? If so post a fag packet sketch or marker pen on the actual pallet the relevant sizes and I'll figure a breaker.

Just thinking out loud here but to save weight the "roller bar" could be tube instead of solid bar and the handle welded direct to this instead of being bolted to a welded boss...

3 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

How's the bathroom, son?

?

Still there...

Tbh I'm bottling starting it. Worried about everything; it being level, the joints looking uniform, cutting for the mixer etc. A biggie is cutting these big mosaics without the cut edge looking crap. I'm going to get SWMBO to do the cuts...no comeback then! :)

48 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Still there...

Tbh I'm bottling starting it. Worried about everything; it being level, the joints looking uniform, cutting for the mixer etc. A biggie is cutting these big mosaics without the cut edge looking crap. I'm going to get SWMBO to do the cuts...no comeback then! :)

What I said above then. Shitting it ?

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

@Nickfromwales some confidence building motivational chat needed. Help @Onoff with his mosaics or this ain’t gonna get done in the next decade! ?