Where do all the bricks go? (in the garden?)

laurenco

We've demolished our bungalow in order to build a new house. As the garden is large and slopes off away from the house, we want to use the broken bricks and smashed concrete to fill it in. As part of this, we want a totally flat area for our kids to play football on. Our demolition contractor says we don't need to crush the bricks before putting them in the garden. Will this work? Or is he just trying to save labour here and fob us off?

Broken_Bricks.JPG

If they are not crushed very well you will likely have a lot more voids that will need to be filled with soil over time causing the surface to pucker as the soil is washed into the voids over time by the rain etc. So for a bit you will need to keep topping up the surface. Once the voids are filled however it will be very stable you could speed this up by blinding it with a sand layer and washing it in with hose. If their quote included crushing it I think I would insist they did. 

• Like 2

Another thing to try and get rid of, rigid insulation offcuts, we have a room full of them, put them on market place today, first person filled his jeep up twice, very grateful for them, several other enquiries from people who want photos and measurements- they’re getting the damn things for nothing , they’ll be wanting them delivered next!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tennentslager said:

Btw @mods you missed knobs

It's my go to from now on after you binned all my other expletives

Can you teach us some Celtic expletives? They always seem to be very good. :ph34r:

Bampot, Parcel of Rogues and so on. I am sure I am still to learn some.

I would just run it in with the big digger and if your concerned about soil washing into the voids then lay some ground fabric down, that way it will maintain good drainage but you will not loose your soil. Do the sums on the cost of ground fabric v importing pre crushed road bace to top it off with.... I recon the fabric will be cheaper and quicker. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:
1 hour ago, Tennentslager said:

Btw @mods you missed knobs

It's my go to from now on after you binned all my other expletives

Can you teach us some Celtic expletives? They always seem to be very good:ph34r:

Hmmm...

Tool

Spanner

Fud

Fanny

Complete fanny

*ank hole

Streak of *iss

Off the top of my head...?

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

Can you teach us some Celtic expletives? They always seem to be very good. :ph34r:

I hate to say it, but Gaelic and the Celtic languages are not the best for expletives.  German and perhaps one or two of the Scandinavian languages are pretty good, as is Russian, I think.

My repertoire of (Irish) Gaelic expletives is about average, but I doubt there are many stronger.  English has a better range than either Gaelic or the Celtic languages.

I have NEVERworked with a nationality of people who swear so frequently,and at times you would think unswearable,as the Portuguese. To the point where it’s just punctuating,or pausing a sentence. The Polish ‘Corva’ (100% spelt incorrectly,& probably a Russian word originally) is heard probably at least 10 times/hour but is,I believe,a catch all ‘damn/f**k/‘etc etc. More interesting to me is the Romanian “chi faj “ (again spelt incorrectly) which has multiple meanings;a greeting (“hows it going?-“probably the most literal translation) to an expletive (what the f**k?) and a few things in between,depending on the intonation. 

Love the literal translations of Afrikaans:

"The man's a box!" Think what else you put something into!

"The man's wire a puller!" A euphemism! :)

And my all time favourite, very sexist, lecherous comment muttered at attractive girls by the Boer labourers I used to work with,  "Kom gryp my ore!"

Edited by Onoff

We saved about 400 decent whole bricks from our bungalow demolition for a future “project”. Flowerbed edging? Firepit? Offered the rest on a local Freegle site. No takers. People couldn’t be bothered to come and sort them out of the pile of rubble.

We wanted to put some rubble back in the hole but we had no space to store the rubble whilst we dug out for the foundations.  So it headed away in skips.

Did manage to give away about concrete 150 paving slabs though.

• Like 1

When the site of Darent Valley Hospital was cleared a friend of the BiL got to demolish old tram sheds. Was told he could keep anything he fancied. The top layer of the floor was rough old brick and dirt but underneath were acres of vintage but pristine London stocks several layers deep!

Watch out for Aldi and possibly Lidl branches being built.

I have a T who is self-building a conservatory/porch by mutual consent, and the new Aldi being built near here had 7+ pallets of bricks left over, which the site manager opined he would rather have stolen. Buff facers which are worth around £1500-£2k afaics.

Anyway, the T is now building his conservatory dwarf walls from free bricks, having obtained a secondhand conservatory for about  £100 previously. The dg door is costing about £30 from eBay locally.

(It is a let to buy when they can afford it deal).

F

15 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Bawbag

Jobby

Scunner

Cockwomble 

to name a few more. 

16 hours ago, Christine Walker said:

they’re getting the damn things for nothing , they’ll be wanting them delivered next!

We offered a stack of left over wood on gumtree. Would have been great for building or using in a log burner. We had a guy who wanted it who said that when he came to collect he would need access to power from the house so that he could saw it up. Told him no and had a big bonfire instead. 

I think I am going to have to resort to Shakespeare, then. Though I am not totally convinced these are all in Shakespeare.

For self-build sites sites these might fit and not sound too baroque, for example:

CUMBERGROUND - someone who is so useless, they just serve to take up space. 
DORBEL  - a petty, nit-picking teacher. For that phonecall to planning.
FUSTILARIAN - someone who stubbornly wastes time on worthless things
KLAZOMANIAC - Someone who only seems able to speak by shouting. 
MUCK-SPOUT - A dialect word for someone who not only talks a lot, but who seems to constantly swear.
QUISBY - In Victorian English, doing quisby meant shirking from work or lazing around. A quisby was someone who did just that.
WHIFFLE-WHAFFLE - An indecisive, time-wasting ditherer. 

I like Klazomaniac.

Ferdinand