Hi from Dublin

Rorschach

Hi everyone.

I'm about launch into a self-build shortly and have been reading a lot of the threads on this forum. There are some very knowledgeable people on here, and hopefully, I can contribute something meaningful too over the next few months. I am an ex-builder and ex- energy assessor myself, so I half know what I am doing ?. I expect you lot to fill in the missing half!

Cheers

• Like 1

Welcome to Buildhub!

Your character (assuming your user name is a Watchmen reference rather than the Rorschach test more generally) has one of the best lines of any superhero film, imo. I assume you know the one I mean... B|

• Like 1

Guest Alphonsox

Hi and Welcome to the forum - We're still trying to complete a build a couple of hours north of you. (and I have no idea what the two of you are talking about)

3 hours ago, Alphonsox said:

Hi and Welcome to the forum - We're still trying to complete a build a couple of hours north of you. (and I have no idea what the two of you are talking about)

Thanks for the welcome. 

Where are you building?

Guest Alphonsox
On 16/08/2018 at 17:24, Rorschach said:

Thanks for the welcome. 

Where are you building?

We're building on the Ards Peninsula. There's a good number of Irish (North and South) self-builders on the forum. We'll be interested in your experiences, please keep us updated.

1 hour ago, Alphonsox said:

We're building on the Ards Peninsula - Portaferry then go east until you get wet. There's a good number of Irish (North and South) self-builders on the forum. We'll be interested in your experiences, please keep us updated.

I certainly will. 

I see a sub-forum titled Ireland. I guess that is where ye all hang out. 

Guest Alphonsox
12 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

I certainly will. 

I see a sub-forum titled Ireland. I guess that is where ye all hang out. 

It depends on the subject - The Ireland sub-forum gets used for issues specific to the island, general issues end up on the relevant subject forums. We don't tend  get too hung up on the spit.

How's the exchange rate likely to effect your build ? Five years ago we sourced a lot of stuff from the Eurozone, but the dive/rise following the Brexit vote may have well swung things in your favour.

1 minute ago, Alphonsox said:

It depends on the subject - The Ireland sub-forum gets used for issues specific to the island, general issues end up on the relevant subject forums. We don't tend  get too hung up on the spit.

How's the exchange rate likely to effect your build ? Five years ago we sourced a lot of stuff from the Eurozone, but the dive/rise following the Brexit vote may have well swung things in your favour.

I haven't started shelling out for materials just yet but getting a delivery from say around the Newry area or that region would be relatively painless as the property is close to the end of the M1. It is a straight run down.

It is something I have considered but not really done the research on yet. I must look into that more as the exchange rate will surely working in my favour now. Building providers in Armagh might just be my first thread!

Guest Alphonsox
11 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

I haven't started shelling out for materials just yet but getting a delivery from say around the Newry area or that region would be relatively painless as the property is close to the end of the M1. It is a straight run down.

It is something I have considered but not really done the research on yet. I must look into that more as the exchange rate will surely working in my favour now. Building providers in Armagh might just be my first thread!

@Declan52 is our local Armagh representative - please start the thread (probably one for the Ireland board)

7 minutes ago, Alphonsox said:

@Declan52 is our local Armagh representative - please start the thread (probably one for the Ireland board)

Welcome. I'm North Armagh so not much use but @DeeJunFan is building just outside Newry in mayobridge so would have a better idea of what merchants would be the best to visit.

You might be better off with a transit van and trailer and save yourself the delivery fees. Just get the bulk goods delivered. 45 mins takes you to the airport roundabout from newry so pretty close.

The good thing about south Armagh is there are lots of border crossings in the event of a hard border. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, mike2016 said:

Welcome - hope to build in Dublin myself next year. Look forward to hearing more details on your plans. Start a blog up on this site and keep us posted! The admins can activate one for you....

Sounds like a good idea. It will be therapy for me. I'll need it.

31 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Welcome. I'm North Armagh so not much use but @DeeJunFan is building just outside Newry in mayobridge so would have a better idea of what merchants would be the best to visit.

You might be better off with a transit van and trailer and save yourself the delivery fees. Just get the bulk goods delivered. 45 mins takes you to the airport roundabout from newry so pretty close.

The good thing about south Armagh is there are lots of border crossings in the event of a hard border. 

Cheers Declan.

Yeah, I was thinking it would have to be a full load of a truck, or something fairly expensive that I would make a considerable saving on before making any order. I can get the small ticket stuff local I guess.