Basic kit superstructure erection

Google

17 minutes ago, Christine Walker said:

At the erection stage they only put up load bearing walls any other partition walls are part of the roughing 

I’ve never heard that term before. The partition walls were put up during the frame erection but the same builders were doing all of it so it didn’t matter. 

5 minutes ago, newhome said:

I’ve never heard that term before. The partition walls were put up during the frame erection but the same builders were doing all of it so it didn’t matter. 

Me neither.  Our frame erection included all internal and external walls, floor joists and first floor flooring, plus roof sarking boards, membrane and slate battens.  Took 4 1/2 days start to finish.

7 hours ago, Christine Walker said:

@Google I’ve just looked at your floor plan , wow! That’s some bungalow!

We were originally looking at a 1 1/2 storey but the plot is 1.6 acres, so decided to spread ghe house over 1 floor. Our plans have been approved for another 2 bedrooms and a mezz in the attic, so we’ll do those before we sell in the future. Planning on doing this again...all being well.

Edited by Google
  • Like 1

Okay....so now I've just found out that our architect didn't check the drawings properly and the steel that has been erected(3 sets of goalposts)is all 300mm too low!! The fabricators took the heights to the bottom flange of the beam rather than the top, and our architect didn't spot it. He thought the beams would be sitting on top of the columns rather than be bolted to the side. We only saw the problem when it was up and we measured it.

The guy is a balloon....made some smart remark along the lines of "ach well, it won't cost much to fix".

Our bloody kit arrives in 10 days time and I'm supposed to be able to get the beam extensions fabbed, dismantle the steel, have the new bits welded on top of the existing columns and re-erect and bolt on the beams!!...and have all that done for the kit and joiners arriving. Goodness knows how long it will even take just to get the steel I-beam extensions.

Wanted to punch his lights out....he couldn't even be arsed to come to the plot..says he got waylaid. We have kit arriving, with steel  at the wrong height due to his failure to check the drawing correctly, and yet something more important has his attention. 

And of course, the chances of anything being done at the weekend are zero.

Edited by Google
  • Sad 2

Were you providing the steels yourself? Ours came as part of the kit and were erected while the joiners were on site, our builders had prepared the pads for the steels being bolted to and given the heights to claymore who worked it out with the fabricators from there, it did take a day and a half on site for them being put up while the joiners were here but at least everyone concerned could see what was happening, our architect really had no input at this stage other than checking correct materials had been used.

Whereabouts are you?

I assume the crossmember bolts to the verticals via a plated connection?

Can you not just "slip in" short, 300mm extensions? Assuming SE is happy and that they're getting covered up. 

A local fabricator should eat that in a day if your steel people can't help.

Have you paid the architect to oversee the construction? If so I would expect him to be dealing with this. If not then this sort of detail is down to the project manager really. Whose drawings are they? If they are not his and you haven’t paid for his ongoing services for this type of activity I’m not sure that you can necessarily lay the blame at his door.

This is also why self builders tend to have all of the elements for the initial construction wrapped into the TF company’s remit so that components being provided in the wrong size become their responsibility not yours. So if for example you supply the windows yourself and they don’t fit it’s your issue not the TF company’s. Conversely if the TF company supplies them it’s their issue. The project manager still needs to oversee the construction however and ensure that the right windows are put in the right places. 

Thanks for the replies folks.

The architect is supposed to be overseeing the build, although not full project management...that's our job. He is also providing our warranty and technical audits.

The kit supplier also supplied the steel, however, they have supplied exactly what they were instructed to supply by the architect and structural engineer. We wanted the kit company to supply both the steel and timber as well as the windows, so it should all fit together. The kit company sent the steel drawings to the architect for approval prior to fabrication. He admitted to not checking them properly, hence the steel is now wrong. There was a height to the steel which should have been to the bottom of the beam...it was made to the top of the beam...so it's out by 300mm(the depth of the beam). 

Not the kit manufacturers fault...they made what they were told.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Google said:

Thanks for the replies folks.

The architect is supposed to be overseeing the build, although not full project management...that's our job. He is also providing our warranty and technical audits.

The kit supplier also supplied the steel, however, they have supplied exactly what they were instructed to supply by the architect and structural engineer. We wanted the kit company to supply both the steel and timber as well as the windows, so it should all fit together. The kit company sent the steel drawings to the architect for approval prior to fabrication. He admitted to not checking them properly, hence the steel is now wrong. There was a height to the steel which should have been to the bottom of the beam...it was made to the top of the beam...so it's out by 300mm(the depth of the beam). 

Not the kit manufacturers fault...they made what they were told.

That really inspires you with confidence for his attention to detail as you progress through the build ... :(

Ask him for the details of his PI insurance. That'll put the shits up him hopefully!! 

39 minutes ago, Google said:

He admitted to not checking them properly, hence the steel is now wrong

In writing or over the phone ?

Put this firmly in his lap and tell him it's his problem. Don't phone him, send it by email and recorded signed for copy by post. 

Then he should sit up and take notice. 

What a Penis.  

Next question folks....

So I have things happening to get the steel corrected, and also should have a new team of joiners lined up shortly, however, the kit is due next week and the joiners may be a week or so (perhaps 2)behind that. 

So, will that cause any issue with the timber kit? I’ve had someone suggest that it could warp if it’s not stored correctly and it gets wet from lying out in poor weather. Is this true? Should I store the panels flat and cover with tarps, for example and have the trusses stood upright? Obviously, it’ll be fine once it’s bolted/nailed together but if it lies for a week or 2 first? I have to accept delivery as the manufacturer doesn’t have the facility to store for me...I’ve already managed to get it delayed till next week.

All advice welcomed.

Edited by Google

A slightly different thought, do you have help to unload and stack the frame, don’t underestimate the size of this task

look at j Harris picture, that’s a lot of timber to move around. 

As for storage

i would either store flat or upright, but what ever method make sure you have blocking underneath to keep out of the puddles and ensure panels are flat, no waves or kinks

i was always told to store trusses upright, with blocking under the ceiling ties to prevent damage to the ends, again no kinks or waves. 

Why can the frame manufacturers not hold on to it for another couple of weeks. Why not drive to the company and have a chat face to face, I find this works so much better than an e mail. 

55 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

A slightly different thought, do you have help to unload and stack the frame, don’t underestimate the size of this task

look at j Harris picture, that’s a lot of timber to move around. 

As for storage

i would either store flat or upright, but what ever method make sure you have blocking underneath to keep out of the puddles and ensure panels are flat, no waves or kinks

i was always told to store trusses upright, with blocking under the ceiling ties to prevent damage to the ends, again no kinks or waves. 

Why can the frame manufacturers not hold on to it for another couple of weeks. Why not drive to the company and have a chat face to face, I find this works so much better than an e mail. 

Thanks for the advice. We have the offload sorted fortunately.

I may see about laying the panels on the concrete slab...that way keeping them flat. And the blocks is a good idea to keep things out of the wet. I already have an area cleared with terram put down where I can stand the trusses upright(On blocks)

2 minutes ago, Google said:

may see about laying the panels on the concrete slab...that way keeping them flat

You must make sure they are stacked on minimum 4x2 bearers at 600 centres and the TF co will tell you how high. Are they pre-insulated ..?? Lay them outer side up and make sure they are strapped down too..! 

Do not use pallets to stack them on ..!!

16 minutes ago, PeterW said:

You must make sure they are stacked on minimum 4x2 bearers at 600 centres and the TF co will tell you how high. Are they pre-insulated ..?? Lay them outer side up and make sure they are strapped down too..! 

Do not use pallets to stack them on ..!!

Thank you!!