WC Concealed Cistern Access in a Fitted Unit?

MAB

If I was to fit one of these compact L-shaped Bathroom cabinet units (see links below) which are designed to use a back to wall style pan how easy is it to service/repair/replace the cistern fill and flush valves, etc? The style I like has a one piece L-shaped basin which also fits over the top of the cistern. It would be a pain to have to remove the basin/worktop taps and waste just to access the concealed cistern in the future. So is there a concealed cistern that fits this type of unit but can be serviced by removing the cabinets front panel and push button and that is a good make or recommended by plumbers?

http://www.elationbathrooms.co.uk/cat/l-shape

https://www.diy.com/departments/cooke-lewis-ardesio-gloss-white-lh-vanity-toilet-pack/1056515_BQ.prd

If not I think I will go with a conventional stand-alone WC and a separate basin/cabinet unit alongside.

Edited by MAB

You won't get that cistern flush plate into the short panel of the vanity unit linked. 

TBH ive just done one identical to the first link and I just fitted the regular hide-away cistern and then simply bonded the sit-on sink top with 4 dots of white silicone, between the underside of the top and the top of the carcass. Then I applied a bead of white all round to prevent water ingress. If it ever needs an overhaul you simply peel off the silicone, run a long blade type craft knife through the 4 dots ( 4 five pence sized dots is ample to hold things in place ) and lift the whole thing off.

Worth the effort as imo these really do look nice when fitted. ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Avoid the B&Q stuff, it really is dog shit. Im fitting vanity sinks and WC's in my current job purchased from there and the quality and finish is just disgraceful. How they allow stuff through quality control is beyond me. 

Utter shite for what they're charging for it. Looks great in those pics, just wait until you see what actually turns up. :/ 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I was about to say the C&L ones are horrific - read the comments .... that was £280 in the sale and it’s still over priced at that..!! None of the whiteware is finished properly and on one I refitted for friends the WC outlet was oval..! 

• Like 1

This is my one

bathroom_9.thumb.jpg.2404cf000ca73531b42f431eea7958f1.jpg

The panel with the flush plate unclips to give access to the cistern than can be serviced through the blue panel on the cistern

barhroom_10.thumb.jpg.e28337ac1f06fc92b8873e5e3a652718.jpg

SWMBO chose it. It came from one of the sheds but  I forget which one. It wasn't expensive. I had been pricing some units from Howdens but this came in a lot cheaper.  It was just the cabinet, basin and taps from the shed. The Pan was bought on line for just over £50 and the cistern and flush plate Iirc came from BES

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ProDave said:

This is my one

bathroom_9.thumb.jpg.2404cf000ca73531b42f431eea7958f1.jpg

The panel with the flush plate unclips to give access to the cistern than can be serviced through the blue panel on the cistern

barhroom_10.thumb.jpg.e28337ac1f06fc92b8873e5e3a652718.jpg

SWMBO chose it. It came from one of the sheds but  I forget which one. It wasn't expensive. I had been pricing some units from Howdens but this came in a lot cheaper.  It was just the cabinet, basin and taps from the shed. The Pan was bought on line for just over £50 and the cistern and flush plate Iirc came from BES

They're nice little units. The L-shape stuff looks more expensive than it is so a good option. The cisterns do have the access through those panels, so the tops only ever need to come back off if there is a major failure. 

Thanks for all the helpful replies, I am now thinking of going for this L-Shape Unit which also looks to have a larger cistern access panel above the back to wall toilet:-

https://www.bathrooms.com/bathroom-furniture/combination-vanity-units/mydesign-white-1100-extra-depth-l-shaped-combination-unit-with-sink-and-cistern-rh

There seems to be a very wide selection of makes, types and prices for the concealed cisterns

eg: 2 pages worth below.....any recommendations or things to avoid when choosing?

(I would like front access for most maintenance because of the one piece worktop/basin and bottom inlet for water supply).

https://www.qssupplies.co.uk/Bathrooms/Bathrooms/Cisterns/Product/576.htm

This is the one I have https://www.qssupplies.co.uk/bathroom-furniture-shower-taps/63819.htm

Comes with a standard round push plate, but of course that was no good so for one we bought the big rectangular flush plate, and the other, the smaller square flush plate.

I don't recall where I bought it from but it was a similar price to that.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Tight arse mate in a rented place wants a wall mount, concealed cistern wc like mine but wants to pay peanuts! I tell him Geberit and he tells me he's found a no name frame and pan for around £120! 

Exit pipe is horizontally straight through the wall.

Just thinking out loud here...

Concealed cistern, 5 year guarantee for <£20:

https://www.qssupplies.co.uk/bathroom-furniture-shower-taps/77484.htm?

M-2015-4-3--8-12-25-741.jpg.992f0b52e6b3b27343681a4b9f560fa4.jpg

At first glance, no name etc so what's the point? Then there's this Hudson Reed cistern, again <£20 with a 5 year g'tee. Surely the same model?

imageResize.jpeg.d5195063cee21bc40660f332b7a553c2.jpeg

I reckon then I can copy a Geberit frame with the 2" box I've lying around:

SAM_3420

A goer? 

1 hour ago, Triassic said:

Yes, definatly.

But in a rental, does he have permission!?

Permission? Likely not!

He's just managed to puncture the incoming mains water when trying to fix a squeaky upstairs floor board. Did the same about 10 years back! :) Lucky he's the ground floor & basement tenant and the neighbours are upstairs. 

Reckons the landlord would redo the bathroom just to a very basic level with "6"x6" plain white tiles" in his words. 

He's just redone the ground floor laminate wood floor himself. 

Back to the budget wc frame and drawing on what others here have done: Simply thinking a 4"x2" half height (or less) frame screwed to the floor boards and existing wall. Removeable top shelf to access the cistern. Hell, at <£20 buy two cisterns. So the cistern just bolts to the wall. What drew me to the ones above was that you can buy it branded as Hudson Reed and as a few of us in here know it's generally good stuff, certainly on the shower mixer etc front.

He's spotted a new, unused, wall hung pan and seat for £35. 

1635992851__58.JPG.15fb125c0a8dd03eeacd03dc44ab9c4c.JPG

Back to the frame then I've got my spare UP200 frame here to copy from. I reckon with a bit of forethought I could even do away with the adjustable height legs if I knew the new pan dimensions and existing poo pipe heights. Or just allow for 5mm of steel packs. 

Tbh he'll have gone out and bought a cheapo set by the time I get around to this but it keeps the grey matter ticking over! :)

Edited by Onoff

5 minutes ago, PeterW said:

I’d let him get on with it and finish your bathroom.....

:) Its something I need to think about at some stage as I'll need to do a 3rd wall mount wc sometime (& maybe another two here also) and I'm buggered if I'm paying full price for a Geberit frame! Maybe I'll just buy the Geberit cistern and make the frame. 

Anyway, I'm literally off to mix up right now and do some more tiling in mine. Pics to follow! 

If you are going budget, then I would use a floor standing back to wall pan so no need for a frame to hang it on.  I am not convinced the wall hung ones give enough improvement over that to make the cost and extra work worthwhile.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

If you are going budget, then I would use a floor standing back to wall pan so no need for a frame to hang it on.  I am not convinced the wall hung ones give enough improvement over that to make the cost and extra work worthwhile.

I agree, I also hate those large square push button flushes, such a corporate bog look!

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

His SWMBO is set on wall mounted!