Site visit? (MBC frame now up)

If anyone would like to visit an MBC frame (finished last week, not air tightness tested) then we would happily welcome fellow Buildhubbers (we are in Henley-on-Thames)

It would make a welcome change from mopping the rain off the floors (roof is not watertight) ?

Bring back the sunshine!

7mLDcGkwk7q_vkqgXmFychsR4Ud5EyomVKZ1ecW2iLX42u0XMSxzycVOX4vpBIz-WG9UQp0PNam96tTSomFNJSeGhmx7bpS1hMzlarVLZzmg8qL_ZLx65oCH87kXA6N9u-GBBEujJ0Solpmy8j2XUi2jWjqEM9mnH5N_LiGsQgW234lsxWXOhjzZHtL8r-NH3S0UoLqGLzpcFyojkH7-Jh34k5V2nU0o8FmFCYeGJgUJDya9VZzC5GzvEPWjdYo7LoRFrIBYiW5jw9wn5UChnEDfIiV8FINDkl24zUR9aQeWWe8dbXWgWF7Yzz_C-7ZqgUiagW71aSzQGUopeZVit_pBV4qN72hOsqsSOzCa0ASOxgv779qN1g8hCAH5Kqhcut6mpZjlzqehQq6-2cD63PMBLsnITIdfyVJy29HhtYBaGViWDgpThJxXBQa-97Uc1TZYdl9h2a-jGEE_wlk3zYa-s7a7cH9ujnopcK0p3qdQw3C_Qc1P8eoYEp-DfhtL8OqGY44hCL962m4BrTmLjyOsnp-_o3Mjxjew296EvsQY8XTo-LjjdlfyX1tVW3vnRVVPKHom9dlYP6thmXRtuwlaifY2GubGLM0SFF_-=w671-h895-no

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Weebles said:

It would make a welcome change from mopping the rain off the floors (roof is not watertight

I have used a large industrial squeegee for this and it is excellent especially if you have external openings down to the floor and remove the thresholds. Sourced from janitorial suppliers.

We visited @Weebles yesterday and I wanted to say a big 'thank you' to them for being brave enough to make the offer and give up their valuable time to show various Buildhubbers their MBC frame when they clearly had plenty to do without nosy visitors asking lots of questions.  With luck and a fair wind we will be able to do the same soon (but still not sure exactly when - the joys of self building...)

We briefly crossed paths with @vivienz and @Dreadnaught and it was good to put faces to their Buildhub names.  The amount of help/info (directly and indirectly) that we have gleaned and the sense of community from people on this forum is amazing.

Thanks to all.

Mark

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We're due a visit!

I remember when Mr & Mrs Weebles came to our site many moons ago to see our frame (we were in the thick of first fix I think) and they were somewhat sceptical that they'd ever get that far themselves :)

We did the same, visiting @JSHarris and @jack before we'd put a spade in the ground and it is equal parts inspiring and daunting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Bitpipe said:

We did the same, visiting @JSHarris and @jack before we'd put a spade in the ground and it is equal parts inspiring and daunting.

... and we did the same with @JSHarris

There's quite a chain (a few chains, actually). Lovely to see it being continued as each new link in the chain moves forward.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bitpipe said:

and another.

In fact, with @jack  and @Bitpipe , we shared a lot of information  and used several  of the same contractors and suppliers.  It can be extremely useful, to develop this link and support system 

Edited by HerbJ
  • Like 1

By coincidence, I was recently in contact with the plumbing firm we all used and he expressed an interest in doing more work for self-builders (I think we're faster payers than most of the developers he's worked with!) 

I believe they work mainly in Surrey and Southwest London, but anyone interested in talking to him can drop me a pm.

Edited by jack
Edited for clarification

Such a useful visit! I'm happier about progressing a number of niggling issues now and have a clear idea of how I will deal with others. All of this vould have taken me ages to work through by myself but one day out on a visit and all sorted. Brilliant.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HerbJ said:

and another.

In fact, with @jack  and @Bitpipe , we shared a lot of information  and used several  of the same contractors and suppliers.  It can be extremely useful, to develop this link and support system 

I believe Weebles is using quite a few of our mutual contractors  - getting the old band back together :)

3 hours ago, jack said:

By coincidence, I was recently in contact with the plumbing firm we all used and he expressed an interest in doing more work for self-builders (I think we're faster payers than most of the developers he's worked with!) 

I believe they work mainly in Surrey and Southwest London, but anyone interested in talking to him can drop me a pm.

I used them also, highly recommended - they came to me in Berkshire.

We are using @Bitpipe plumber and sparks (in South Oxon). Nothing started on the house yet but some very useful conversations so far. And the sparky has already helped move us to a kiosk and sort out the caravan electrics. Sharing trades is very useful. We have also used the scaffolders used by @dogman.

We would not be where we are with out the inspirational site visits to fellow buildhubbers @Bitpipe and @dogman and help from lots of people on this site.  It is lovely to think we might have helped / inspired someone else.  We didn’t think we’d get here. And now the next stage feels like a mountain too but we are having a lot of fun.

@Bitpipe - do pop over when you have a free hour or two.....